how to find cd key on non booting xp hdd

howard64 14:20 02 Jul 2009

I am trying to fix a non booting xp home sp3 on an oldish pc for a friend who is out of the country for a while. When running the xp cd and going for the repair option I do not have the cd key. Does anyone know how to find the windows xp key from a drive not actually running the os? I can read the disk with it connected to my pc but do not know a way of getting the key from the non booting drive. Thanks in advance.

tullie 14:22 02 Jul 2009

The only key you can legally use,i would imagine,is on the PC case,if its a different version,you cant use it.

howard64 14:30 02 Jul 2009

no sticker on case but I am assured the version on the drive is legitimate - I need to find it to fix the pc.

woodchip 14:37 02 Jul 2009

Does it ask for a key when you run Repair?

howard64 14:42 02 Jul 2009

yes - it is almost like a complete new installation except it does not destroy data or lose installed progs - much quicker than clean install but cd key is requred. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that you could download a linux prog that can read the windows key.

woodchip 14:44 02 Jul 2009

Will it not Start in Safe Mode the run System Restore

Terry Brown 14:53 02 Jul 2009

Would this link help you ?
click here

or you could try a more general link
click here=

Terry

howard64 17:40 02 Jul 2009

I have tried everyway I can think of with no success.

howard64 18:32 02 Jul 2009

thanks all now got it - downloaded magical jelly beans to my main pc with non working drive attached - loaded hive - pointed to non booting drive and it gave me the windows cd key.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?