how to file share on home network

smiffo 22:32 07 Feb 2006

i have a netgear db834gt wireless router and wg111t wireless usb a dell dimension desktop and packard bell laptop both on xp sp2 i have the router wired in to the desktop via the network card in the dell desktop i setup the router and usb and desktop and laptop share an internet connection fine i wanted to know have to share work and the printer i have made them all shared but cant access either the laptop from desktop or the other way desktop from laptop can anyone help please

keewaa 23:43 07 Feb 2006

Xp home or pro?

Have you :
Disabled all software firewalls, run the network setup wizard on both machines, each PC has unique name, each PC has same workgroup, Is netbios enabled on each PC, at a command prompt on each machine type
Net user guest
Do you see a line account active = yes ?
if = no on either then type
Net user guest /active:yes
Each PC must have something actually shared

smiffo 18:57 08 Feb 2006

its xp home yes it does say line active i have both Hdd and the printer shared

Qdiddy 21:42 08 Feb 2006

Smiffo,

I'm having exactly the same problems but can connect to the internet with no problems on both machines. Found this click here which helped for a bit (includes NetBios enabling as suggested by Keewaa), but the problem returned. It's worth a try to see if it solves the problem for you. In the meantime, I'll wait here with you for further help from Keewaa or anyone else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone