How to fax PDFs using fax modem

minstrel2nd 13:38 25 May 2007

Hi all.

I currently have a second tel line in work to send occasional faxes to insurance companies, banks, etc - yes, they still use fax! I was hoping to save costs by scanning to PDF and then faxing using my laptop's built-in modem (through a single telephone line). When I click on 'file' and then'send to', there is no fax recipient option. On Microsoft website, I read that an 'efax' provider is required but that obviously results in a monthly charge which undermines the whole point of getting rid of the second line - replacing one charge with another.

Does anyone have any solution to the faxing of PDFs? Other formats I could ust?

PS Apologies for the length of request and any techno-errors - technically-gifted I am not! Thanks in advance.

Technotiger 13:57 25 May 2007

Is this any help ...

click here

minstrel2nd 14:16 25 May 2007

Technotiger - thanks for your prompt response. Unfortunately that is the information I had already looked at - the fax service providers they refer to charge a monthly fee which is simply a case of replacing one charge with another.

Stuartli 14:54 25 May 2007

From what I remember of dialup faxing, you have to configure the voice/fax/data modem as a printer to send e-mails.

You also need to install the Windows Fax software or equivalent and, of course, you should have a fax modem, not just voice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?