how to expand network?

rickd 19:06 10 Oct 2008

I have 3 PCs and a networked harddrive connected to the 4 ports on my router. I'd like to add a networked printer (rather than having it run from 1 of the PCs which means that PC has to be on to print).
Whats the easiest/best way to expand my network. Can I daisy chain off the router or external HD, or do I need a router? with more ports.
Wireless is not feasible due to the layout of my house.

rickd 19:12 10 Oct 2008

I think I just answered my own question after a bit more searching. Is a "network switch" what I need? Any recommendations or are they all the same?

mgmcc 20:33 10 Oct 2008

Yes, a "network switch" is what you need to provide additional ethernet ports. These will generally be 100Mbps devices and, as you'll be plugging into a router, there is no merit in getting a "Gigabit" (1000Mbps) switch.

You *MAY* have to connect a switch to your router using a "crossover" ethernet cable unless the switch has either an "uplink" port or autosensing ports. Often switches have one "uplink" port which can be toggled between a "straight-wired" connection or a "crossover" one, eliminating the need to use a crossover ethernet cable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie