How to enter the BIOS?

Dorkins 10:10 17 Mar 2008

I have an old computer which runs Windows 98, Second Edition. So, could anyone tell me how to enter the BIOS so that i can alter the boot-sequence so that the computer will boot-up from the CD drive please.

johndrew 11:36 17 Mar 2008

When you switch on and as the PC is starting press the <Delete> key which should take you to the BIOS screen.

Diemmess 11:49 17 Mar 2008

Some computers used F2 instead of Delete (HP did at one time).

Its a matter of experiment, but do make sure you are tapping away on the chosen key from the moment the PC is switched on.

Dorkins 12:08 17 Mar 2008

I can enter the "CMOS Setup utility" by pressing "Dell" but i can't alter the boot sequence so that the computer will boot up from a CD

Diemmess 12:29 17 Mar 2008

Search through the early menu pages... you should see the options for First Second and Third boot device.

use arrow keys till 1st boot device is highlighted and then Page Up or Down until it has toggled through the alternatives to the one you want - "1st boot device CD"

Dorkins 14:05 17 Mar 2008

Must be doing something wrong because i still can't set the computer to boot from a "live" cd

Totally-braindead 14:16 17 Mar 2008

Are you sure its a bootable CD?

What CD is it?

Totally-braindead 14:20 17 Mar 2008

Only other thought is. When you alter the boot order, which I assume you are able to do, you have to save it before you exit the BIOS.

If you don't save it, it will just reset itself to whatever it was set to before.

Dorkins 14:42 17 Mar 2008

I still can't alter the boot order

Diemmess 14:46 17 Mar 2008

Can you find the box/boxes to change the boot order?

Sea Urchin 14:52 17 Mar 2008

Have a look at this page - scroll down to the third screen (Advanced BIOS features) and you can click the screen to enlarge it. Where it says First Boot Device, Second Boot Device and Third Boot Device you move the cursor to "First" with the Up/Down Arrows and then change the boot option to CD using the Page Up/Page Down keys. Then, as Totally-braindead says you must save it before exiting.

The exact layout may be different depending on your motherboard, but will operate the same way.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?