How to enliven front case firewire port

terendak_uk 20:27 02 Aug 2004

Got a new case with front USB and firewire ports.Thanks to essential assistance here.....USB sorted. The firewire cable from the front port ends in a std firewire connector. I assume I will need to install a firewire PCI card and snake the cable thro the case, out the back,then plug it into one of the ports at the back?
Be most grateful for advice

terendak_uk 18:56 15 Aug 2004

Do I need to install a firewire PCI card and plug the front cable into on of the rear ports?
Thanks

pmjd 19:09 15 Aug 2004

Here is one solution that will look better
click here

It has an internal connector on the PCI card, so no cable snaking in and out.

Another option, if your motherboard supports firewire, would be to cut the cable end off add some single pin connectors and plug it in to the board...On balance I think I would just be lazy and get the PCI card.

Cheers,
Paul

terendak_uk 19:16 15 Aug 2004

The mobo is no great shakes...Biostar M7NCD-AO4 ver3. Can't see a firewire onboard nor ref to one in "manual"....may be wrong ( new venture for me lol). Like your suggestion of PCI plus internal.....just the ticket, I think.
Thanks!

cream. 19:21 15 Aug 2004

Yes you are right, that is the standard way to connect the front firewire cable. The cable should be long enough to fit around the bottom of the case, you may have to take out a PCI blanking plate to fit it through.

The end of the cable will probably be a standard 6 pin connector, this will fit into the rear of the firewire card. Unless your motherboard has a onboard IEE 1394 a firewire card will have to be bought.

terendak_uk 19:29 15 Aug 2004

needed that confirmation.
I note that Maplin do a PCI card that has external USB2, firewire, ethernet( need it to set up wireless comms between upstairs and d'stairs) AND internal USB2 and Firewire ( one of each)....that's the one for me, I think?

pmjd 19:32 15 Aug 2004

how will you be setting up the wireless comms?

terendak_uk 19:39 15 Aug 2004

got the 3com multi thingy and was going to put PCI network cards in each PC.....but now thinking that I'll use primary PC to connect with the thingumy via ethernet card/cat5 cable....leaving only the one PC upstairs with a PCI arial?? The rest is ........very daunting lol

pmjd 19:45 15 Aug 2004

It's all easier than you think.

However, remeber to setup your security settings for wireless or any person in good range can borrow your internet connection or look at the files on any shared folders on you computers. Security settings are always turned off by default.

If you need any help with it please do ask.
Cheers,
Paul

terendak_uk 19:59 15 Aug 2004

thanks, Paul. Once I reconfigure the main PC I'll go for the wireless connection and...I'm sure , give you a help bell
Cheers
Carl

cream. 19:59 15 Aug 2004

The A18BL code. Nice card but strewth @ £59.99 a bit expensive.

This is £17.62 click here

and this is £14.74 click here

or a 10/100 card £6.91 click here

It would mean using 2 pci slots but could cost as little as £24.53 plus P&P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?