how to enable wireless on an XP system for internet router?

theDarkness 16:18 12 Jun 2010

most modern laptops come with a network button you simply need to press (usually on the side or top near the power button) to enable wireless router access, as an example... but on a desktop with xp sp2 or 3, what do I need to enable to connect to the same router? where do i look? thanks

Strawballs 16:24 12 Jun 2010

Not many desktop come with a wireless card installed are you sure it has one?

theDarkness 16:36 12 Jun 2010

sorry, i worded that wrong, i have a usb belkin wireless adapter for the desktop, but it wasnt picking up the wireless router downstairs-mayb i need to simply reinstall the belkin cd software?

i was having trouble before with the laptop also not picking up the router, before i finally realised after installing the necessary internet provider software, that i simply had to press the laptops network button on the laptop- next to the power button!!! dont laugh :) its just that the button on the laptop was not labelled or even noted as being the on/off for wireless access, so i was stumped, and ended up reinstalling on that machine as a result. doh!

after installing the belkin software on the laptop, no wireless networks were showing even when the router is working fully (im using it right now on this mobile)

thanks

theDarkness 16:48 12 Jun 2010

update-it was a corrupted installation of the belkin software, i reinstalled with the correct connection info-all working again! :) thanks anyway

Strawballs 22:59 14 Jun 2010

Just glad you got it sorted, are you going to tick as resolved?

theDarkness 13:40 19 Jun 2010

yes! :) lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache