How to edit a scanned document

281apple 08:56 15 May 2007

Is there a programme which I could use to correct/change/add to/and/or delete a part of/ of a scanned text with a picture on it. I would want to edit the text and delete the picture. Thanks for any help I can get.

dagbladet 09:01 15 May 2007

What you need is OCR software. It generally comes as part of the software package with a scanner/multifunction printer. Alternatively check for free downloads . It can be a bit hit and miss though.

dagbladet 09:02 15 May 2007

A quick google search below.

click here=

silverous 09:17 15 May 2007

If you can you are better off getting the original. As per above OCR is hit and miss. What people often don't realise is that usually a scanned document is just a "photo" so the computer has no concept of the text on the picture - no more than it would of a photograph of a motorway sign.

Very often it is quicker if it isn't going to respond to OCR well (as many docs don't) to re-type or source the original document. Simply whiting/blacking out an image or section of text in a scanned document is very simple but editing text is where the difficulty lies.

281apple 11:52 15 May 2007

Thanks. I really more interested in editing doucments than deleting photos from documents. I'll check out your suggestions and thanks to all.

UncleP 12:28 15 May 2007

I find modern OCR programs have a good recognition rate as long as the text is reasonably clear and, more importantly, the areas of text and graphics are well separated. Trying to OCR text with a integral graphical component or background usually results in the whole lot being regarded as an image. (Most OCR programs will automatically separate text from graphics as long as the divisions are obvious.)

I usually reckon that the break-even point between re-typing and using an OCR program is around a half to one page of A4 text, but my typing speed and accuracy are pretty poor anyhow!

silverous 12:53 15 May 2007

Tables of figures tend to get screwed up as well as any fancy formatting. You end up having to review and mess around with the whole document in which case if you have a quick typist they're better off doing it from scratch.

281apple 18:47 15 May 2007

Well, I think I got the message and now understand what are the ins and outs of an OCR. Thanks. In fact I use it in giving English lessons to a Spanish lady in Spain. We work with Skype. She write an Engliish text and my job is to correct it and send it back to her. Up to now I just printed out what she sent me and corrected it with red ink, then scanned it and sent it back to here. If I want to use an OCR, I will have to not only correct her mistakes but would also have to correct the mistakes of the translation from PDF to Word. I think I'll stay with my manual way of doing it.
THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR ADVISE.

Technotiger 19:13 15 May 2007

Hi, you and perhaps your Pupil in Spain might well be interested in this, my sons' site - it is in Spanish and English ... click here any of the magazines are freely downloadable.

fitshase 19:20 15 May 2007

Does she handwrite it or type it?

If she types it, get her to send the document.

If she handwrites it, and OCR will be good but will throw up a lot of mistakes.

Another option is to get Adobe Acrobat. This will allow you to add comments, circles, lines, etc, to a PDF document without altering the original. The recipient can then print it with or without the comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017