how easy to connect 1 laptop to router ?

worcesterman47 15:59 26 Oct 2007

hi, how easy is it to connect a router to just 1 laptop ? before i buy router i need to know how easy it is to set up...laptop has built in wireless & runs winxp..its anewish laptop..will i need any other cables or connectors etc to set up the router ? or is it kind of " out of the box..plug in....configure" or is there anything else ?...many thanks in advance for your replies

BurrWalnut 16:08 26 Oct 2007

It's always advisable to 'set up' the router using the Ethernet cable that should come with it. You don't need to install any software.

Once it's set up you will be able to disconnect the cable and connect wirelessly.

Presumably you have the telephone micro-filters?

worcesterman47 16:13 26 Oct 2007

thank you burr..so in effect then ( hopefully )..i connect the ethernet cable to router & laptop....should then be able to access http with the ip number supplied...configure router....then disconnect ethernet cable & have full web access...that about right ? again many thanks

ambra4 16:17 26 Oct 2007

worcesterman47

No it not just opens the box plug in and away you go

You need a broadband service first a ASDL service via the phone line is the easily to set up

You have to configure the router and the pc to allow you access the Internet

You must first connect the laptop via an Ethernet cable to the router to configure the router

Go to this posting and read how to set up the PC lan card

click here

Once you have the laptop working via the hard wire you can now look at setting up the wireless side

ambra4 16:28 26 Oct 2007

Once you have bought router you need to do the following

Remove Telephone from wall jack if install

Plug-in the 2-way filter that came with Modem/Router

Connect Telephone Cable that came in the box to the ASDL/DSL Socket on Filter and to the ASDL socket on the Router

If you had a Telephone connected to the wall jack before, plug the phone into the socket on the filter mark Phone

If you have any Phone extensions, Fax Machine, Answering Machine, etc, an ADSL filter must be installed on each wall jack

Connect a RJ45 Ethernet cable from Port 1 on the Router to the LAN socket on your Computer

If any firewalls are installed on the PCs, uninstall them.

This includes Zone Alarm, Sygate, Kerio, Norton Internet Security, Zero Knowledge Freedom, Cisco VPN Client, F-Secure, McAfee Firewall, Trend Micro, Comodo, PC Tools Firewall Plus etc.

In many cases, disabling the firewall is not enough; you have to actually uninstall it.

Do not install or re-install the firewall until after you have the network functioning properly.

ambra4 16:51 26 Oct 2007

Personal I like the 3Com officeconnect ADSL wireless 11g router

click here

worcesterman47 16:53 26 Oct 2007

ambra4..thank you so much for in depth info....( by the way i do have a broadband connection)..so then i follow your instructions as to set up the router....i then i assume follow your instructions from one of your previous post concerning...Network Adapter Setup on the Computer ,i do have an in built wireless connection on laptop..so i still have to configure that yes?..i have printed off your advice from these messages & will now print off your advice for setting up.. Network Adapter Setup on the Computer & from all the info you supplied i should then be ok...but any more info if needed would still be appreciated..many thanks

ambra4 17:08 26 Oct 2007

3Com office connect ADSL wireless 11g router set-up

Power On The Router And Wait 1-2 Min’s until modem synch with your broadband ISP

Start your browser and enter the router access code, (192.168.1.1) check the manual for the correct code if not a 3Com router

User name: - admin

Connection Type = PPPoA

VPI/VCI = 0/38

Encapsulation = VCMUX.

User Name & Password that you presently use to access your ISP service

Click-Lan Setting

DHCP Setting-On Lease Time-Forever

Click-Wireless Setting-Configuration

Wireless Mode-Mixed 11B+11g

WDS-Disable

Click-Internet Setting-PVC1- Click Edit in Red at end

Connect Type- Always Connected

Idle Time- 0 Change to 3440

MTU-1492

Click-Firewall- Medium Level (If set to High if will restrict most site)

Click-Advanced- Nat- On Ipsec- Off

Universal Plug & Play- Off

Wan Ping Blocking- Block Icmp Ping- Tick

Apply setting and wait until finish and Log out

When you have log out close browser and reboot router by power it off and back on

You should now be able to access the Internet

You should see 5 green lights showing on Modem/Router

The 2 displays Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always blank

If you have any blank spaces (Gateway, IP address etc) you need to recheck the Router Setup and Lan Card setting on the computer

ambra4 17:18 26 Oct 2007

Yes you have to set up the lan card for you to access the router

The wireless system will not work until the router is configured to allow wireless access to the Internet

ambra4 17:23 26 Oct 2007

All router have a reset button at the back of the router, which will reset the router back to the factory default setting if required

It is sometimes desirable to reboot the router by Power it off and back on by removing the power cable if you cannot access the Internet or find that access is very slow this will allow the router to refresh the setting from your ISP servers

ambra4 17:30 26 Oct 2007

Setting Up The Wireless System in the Router

Access the router and click the Wireless section in the router setting

You have to set-up the Wireless Network Name the SSID address on the router first

By default some wireless router come setup with the manufacture name as the SSID address 3Com, Linksys, Belkin etc,

You should change the SSID address to a name you want to give your Wireless Network, 452john06 / ezyclip01 etc which would allow you to easily identify your network

You should also change the Wireless Channel # the default is normally Channel 11 which most persons uses so change it to 6/8 this will save you having interferences and low signal quality from other network close by using channel 11

Write it down; or save on a flash drive as the same SSID name and Channel # and Security Code must be used on All wireless device when setting then up to access your wireless system

Do not set-up the security system as yet

Save the setting and log out of router, make sure that you can access the router vie the wireless device and browse the Internet first, if you get it wrong the router will not allow the wireless device to connect to the wireless system or allow access to the Internet

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?