How does Spywareblaster actually work?

Willow12 17:53 19 Jul 2003

I have the usual 3 spyware protectors. Spywareblaster to prevent spyware getting on my PC, and Adaware and Spyware S & D to knock off the spyware that does get through.

Having just done my weekly run of Adaware, 32 new items needing killing off. This led me to wonder a little about Spywareblaster. All of my definitions are up to date so that is not an issue. All other programs sit in my system tray when they are running but there is no icon for Spywareblaster. Does the program automatically launch at startup the way my firewall does, to protect my systems? Or is there something else that I should be doing to 'get it running'?

I appreciate that the program will never catch everything but is 32 a 'normal' amount of spyware to be getting through the net. Assuming of course that it is running O.K.

Willow12

Valvegrid 18:01 19 Jul 2003

I run Adaware and it never finds anything, but I always clear out the temp internet files prior to running it, have you tried that?

Paul.

Valvegrid 18:03 19 Jul 2003

Sorry, I should have explained the reason why I say this. If I run Adaware before clearing the temp internet files it finds lots of things.

Paul.

Willow12 18:07 19 Jul 2003

Yeah, come to think of it it was all 'tracker' stuff that it found which would be in my Temporary Internet files. That is helpfull, thanks.

Jester2K II 18:17 19 Jul 2003

In answer to the original question "How does Spywareblaster actually work?" Spyware Blaster fools the spyware into thinking it is already installed. FOr example if you install Spyware Blaster and then go to Comet Cursor website, when you try to install the software it starts and then skips to "Installation Complete" WITHOUT actually installing the software.

The bits and bobs you pick up are probably tracking cookies.

Install IE6 (If you haven't already) and go to Tools, Internet Options, Delete Cookies. Then Go to the Privacy tab and click on Advanced.

Check Override Automatic Cookie Handling. Set first party cookies to Accept and Third Party Cookies to Block. Also check Always Allow Session Cookies.

You should then notice your Tracking Components goes down.

Jester2K II 18:21 19 Jul 2003

Oh and SpywareBlaster doesn't need to be running in the background but make sure you are using correctly.

When you download a new update file click Select All under the list of items, then hit Protect Against Selected Items.

YOU NEED TO DO THIS EVERY TIME OR YOU WILL NOT BE COVERED FOR NEW ITEMS. Check by seeing if there are any RED entries in the list - RED means unprotected.

SpywareBlaster inserts entries into your registry to fool spyware into thinking its already installed but it does NOT protect against cookies.

This is all in the Help File.

Willow12 18:26 19 Jul 2003

Thanks Jester2K II. I do always select all of the new 'red' entries to protect against. The information you supplied was top stuff and much appreciated. I'll tick as resolved now.

Thanks again

Willow12

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone