how does my aol email send mail i didnt?

garnersthree 22:35 30 Sep 2009

i have 20 mailer deamon returns,on sheckin my "sent" box i see that 20 mails were sent from my account when i was at work!...do i have a virus or worm etc...i run avg and windows defender?

woodchip 22:55 30 Sep 2009

"Virus"! your computer is being used to run Spam

click here

2. Eliminate Viruses.
Spam still slips through filters, and sometimes delivers viruses that then turns your computer into a spamming machine without you even knowing. In fact, 90 percent [PDF] of computer viruses deposit an SMTP engine which then sends out spam, unbeknownst to the computer owner. Some of these viruses go yet further, and search your PC for private information and steal company or personal bank account information by emailing it back to the spammer. This could result in lawsuits and/or fines due to email non-compliance with government regulations to protect certain data.

stlucia 07:47 01 Oct 2009

I've had that happen to me on a few occasions, both with my AOL account and with other accounts.

I believe it doesn't have to be a virus -- anyone can copy your address, either deliberately or by a computer generating it randomly, and then doctor their spam emails to look like it's coming from you. Whenever their spam (sometimes sent to randomly generated addresses) hits a non-existent address, it will then be returned to your address.

When it has happened to me, it's always stopped within a few days without me having to do anything. I did raise the issue with my ISP the first time it happened, and what I've said above is basically what they told me.

Clapton is God 09:54 01 Oct 2009

I agree with stlucia.

It's spam - nothing more, nothing less and not necessarily a virus.

p;3 11:10 01 Oct 2009

Can we find out ;are you logging into a server to send the mail or are you using an email client such as Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express?

You may also benefit from running these two malware-finding programs
Malwarebytes click here

and Superantispyware

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?