How do you Uninstall all USB in Device Manager?

lotvic 00:41 16 May 2009
Answered

I was having a problem with a usb port so,
I thought I would have a go at uninstalling everything under the heading USB (In device manager) so that I could reboot the PC and let XP find and install new hardware.

Unfortunately the first item I uninstalled 'USB Root Hub' (at the bottom of the list) disabled the mouse which would then no longer work.... I got round this by plugging it in another usb port so that I could then turn pc off.

I then didn't dare do any more uninstalling of usb stuff.

Everything works now though so I've decided to leave well alone but I just wondered how you do uninstall all the usb and then reboot.

Any thoughts as to what was I doing wrong? (and I now have 2 extra Root Hub's listed)

rdave13 00:44 16 May 2009

I think it's only safe to uninstall the USB system if you have a spare PS/2 keyboard and mouse.

phono 00:57 16 May 2009

Would this be of any help click here ?

lotvic 13:10 16 May 2009

Thanks rdave13 and phono
It's a Dell Dimension 9150 and doesn't have a PS/2 connector on mobo

I'll stick to 'refresh' usb in Device Manager.

phono, that does look useful to have, thanks

dms_05 13:52 16 May 2009

The only way to do it in Device Manager is to Uninstall ALL the USB shown. Then reboot. As you reboot the OS will look for the drivers for the 'new' hardware it has found and install it. By the time you have a completed reboot all the USB drivers will be in place and everything will work fully.

lotvic 13:59 16 May 2009

and if you have only usb and no PS/2 on mobo to plug a PS/2 mouse in before you start pc to begin uninstalling usb how do you shut down the pc?

phono 14:07 16 May 2009

"and if you have only usb and no PS/2 on mobo to plug a PS/2 mouse in before you start pc to begin uninstalling usb how do you shut down the pc?"

That can be done using the keyboard.

lotvic 00:08 18 May 2009

keyboard is USB
There is no PS/2 on mobo to plug anything into :(

phono 01:04 18 May 2009
Answer

If you have no PS2 connectors on your mobo you will have to ensure that the option to enable USB legacy devices/keyboard support in the BIOS is selected.

You can also shut down the PC by pressing and holding the power button for 4+ seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone