how do you start a computer through the cd rom

viper1402 20:19 22 Jan 2006

hi im new here so be kind

right i have a hp computer running on windows xp pro and when i try to open it says file is missing or corrupt:\windows\system\vgaoem.fon and thats as far as i can go i would be happy to fix this throgh the cd or just wipe the computer totally clean and put windows on as long as its easy (i dont have much knowladge on computers) i have notes from a friend on how to fix it but there not very disticked and i havent got passed the first step yet but could you please help . thanks in advance:)

VoG II 20:21 22 Jan 2006

Boot from CD click here

Repair Windows XP click here

Install Windows XP click here

viper1402 20:34 22 Jan 2006

hi thanks but when i tried the first two it says
CDBOOT:couldn't find NTDLR

stubrow 20:46 22 Jan 2006

some hp pc,s have a recovery partition if you hit f10 on startup it takes you into the recovery partition if not try hitting esc on startup which on some models will take you into a screen where you can change the boot sequence

viper1402 20:49 22 Jan 2006

f10 just comes up with the couldnt find ntdlr again but esc comes up with boot menu it says use (up) or (down) to selct a boot device or the setup utility
press enter to accept or esc to exit what do i do????

stubrow 20:58 22 Jan 2006

if you have a recovery cd or a windows os installation cd select the main cd drive to boot from make sure the disc is in the drive and follow the prompts.

viper1402 22:43 22 Jan 2006

still comes up with the couldnt find ntdlr message is there any way just to format it??? and i cant get into msdos command prompt

stubrow 23:00 22 Jan 2006

what cd are you trying to boot off

viper1402 07:48 23 Jan 2006

the windows xp pro

stubrow 17:14 23 Jan 2006

try this power up computer press esc until the boot menu appears select boot from cd drive you are using put disc in drive press enter to accept save and exit this should take you into ascreen which says press any key to continue which will take you into windows setup

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?