How do you set up yours?? Home PC Builds!

AMD 4 ever 07:48 22 Mar 2003

Hi not really a problem, But I am merley curious as to how you all setup/configure your PC's after a build.

Here is my regime:

Build>Partition C: into 3 (Local/Driver/Downloads) Load relevant Windows folder to HDD and setup from C: > Once all setup install drivers for relevant components > Then install all Drivers to D:(5GB Partition) >

thats it mine and have found it is so versatile as if a reformat is required all drivers are there on the D: with no need to whip out all the CD's all the time.then any updates or downloads i have directed to the E:.

Once all tickety boo I make a CDR Copy of Drive D:(Drivers) so i then have a back up all on one CDROM.

Let me know if you do anything alike or totally different, purely out of interest.

Spook Tooth 08:05 22 Mar 2003

That's pretty much how Medion (Microstar) supplied my mother's PC. A good method!

My own self build is divided also, 40:30:60:20 in RAID 0 (which RayUk helped me set up). That's Windows and programs which need to run fast; other programs which can run slowly; media files (music, video etc); and my documents including downloads, drivers etc.

You remind me I also need to back up some of the downloads... I'll get around to it one day. (Just Battlefield 1942 downloads and game demos to save really.)

AMD 4 ever 08:11 22 Mar 2003

Thanks for that. Your RAID Setup sounds quite nice. I have RAID and I do not use it to it's full ability...

AMD 4 ever 17:46 22 Mar 2003

Anyone else?

BurrWalnut 17:55 22 Mar 2003

I have an A4 checklist, that starts with FDISK/FORMAT and finishes with download updates. The list also contains Windows Keys/Product ID, serial numbers and the like.

I have all the windows updates on a CD-R so I don't have to do many downloads, the odd Adaware, AVG.

AMD 4 ever 18:01 22 Mar 2003

Sounds good BurrWalnut

Big Elf 18:05 22 Mar 2003

I also have a re-install checklist with serial no.s etc.

I have 2 hard drives and store the data, drivers, downloads and some programs onto c:\ and copy these to the d:\drive. I then run a couple of simple batch files to back up daily to this and a PCMCIA 5GB hard drive. I use the PCMCIA drive to copy files to my laptop.

I also back up data files to a CD-R and once a week take the latest version into the office so that it's off site.

Is this a record for back-up paranoia.

AMD 4 ever 18:08 22 Mar 2003

sounds very practical Big Elf.
Wish i was more like that.

powerless 18:09 22 Mar 2003

C: WINDOWS XP | D: GAMES | E: BACKUP

C: 100GB | D: 10GB | E: 5GB

C: WINDOWS XP - and all programs apart from "Computer Games"...I only have my essential programs which i really really really really like :-)

D: GAMES - At the moment has only SOF2 havn't had time to install my Ghost Recon ;-) Delta force blackhawk down is due at the end of the month so watch this space :-)

E: BACKUP - All downloaded programs, updates etc are on here. Nero updates, Adaware etc. I also have them on CD just incase...
Also important docs etc are shoved on here as well as being on CD.

F and G are Optical Drives

Whilst G is a 3GBB hard drive where Mandrake Linux is installed (i give up on redhat).

From time to time i switch the boot device and have a play with Linux.

I could if i wanted to make XP use the G drive as a swap file but not this time around.

Big Elf 18:09 22 Mar 2003

Forgot to mention that I back-up a few key data files to a compact flash card and I carry that with me.

BurrWalnut 18:12 22 Mar 2003

I don't think you are as paranoid as me.

My checklist even has entries where a backup(98SE) or restore point (ME/XP) has to be taken between say, reload camera software and update mouse driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires