how do you reset vista log in password

BooST 13:20 18 Dec 2008

Hi,

Have unfortunatly locked myself out of vista on my laptop.

Only had computer few weeks as my last one had its screen smashed.
I got this new one and set it up including the password at the begining.
Unfortunatly I changed the password in a bit of a rush and have forgotten it.

Is there anyway round this as I have all the lists on there for my kids christmas pressys etc and as we are rapidly coming upto christmas im starting to panick.

I dont know how to start my laptop in safe mode or any way to load anything on there.
I have a usb stick which gets recognised by the pc when you press reset password but says theres no password reset files on there.

Any help before I fall apart or get beaten by the mrs would be appriciated

cream. 13:33 18 Dec 2008

press F8 or F5 when you start the laptop.

PO79 13:37 18 Dec 2008

If you have the Vista DVD try the last suggestion here click here

ventanas 14:18 18 Dec 2008

That suggestion will only activate the Administrator account, which is disabled by default.
You will be able to log in and set up a new user if it works. You will then have to transfer all you files and data to the new user.

As for the old password you can either guess and hope, or reinstall Windows from scratch, which will lose all your data.

This extract from the forum rules actually prevents any advice on how to get past passwords regardless of the situation.

"Do not ask other forum members to provide you with help or information that will enable you to illegally obtain copyright protected
material, or to circumvent product registration or activation requirements, or to bypass a computer’s password protection."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017