how do you remove Startup.cpl

Ballie 21:27 03 Jan 2005

I am running win xp home, I have just installed a programme called STARTUP CONTROL PANEL by Mike Lin click here.

I want to remove the programe from my pc but it does not show up in the add/remove programmes however it does show in the control panel I have done a search for files and folders that contains words like startup.cpl etc but windows can't find anything (except the folder I downloaded the thing to before I ran the program, and I have deleted that) Please can someone help me get this programe off my pc it is driving me nuts I have sat here for over 3 hours trying to find it to get rid of it but I just can't find where it lives!

Oh and by the way I was not running system restore at the time either!

hope someone can help I have searched google and yahoo and can't find anything to help.

Simon

LeadingMNMs 21:29 03 Jan 2005

Control panel files are normally held in c:\windows\system32

LeadingMNMs 21:31 03 Jan 2005

Or do a search for *.cpl though you'll alot of results to go through and you need to be careful you don't remove one that you need.

Technotiger 21:35 03 Jan 2005

Hi, in your search did you include Hidden Files and Folders? Just a thought.

Ballie 22:02 03 Jan 2005

I have tried serching in all folders and files including hidden, the program seems to be living in the control panel, it is the only place I can find it on the computer you can double click on it and run it from there but as I have said I just can't find anyway to get rid of it.

when you do a serch for anything like "startup.cpl or startup.cpl.exe" nothing is found!

smokingbeagle 22:05 03 Jan 2005

In W2K, it lives as a control panel extension called startup in windows/system 32. Deleting it got rid of it for me.

Technotiger 22:10 03 Jan 2005

"not running System Restore" do you mean you had it disabled? cos it normally runs in the background anyway. I was about to suggest Restore till I read your Post again!

I have just done a Search on my pc using just .cpl
- loads of items showed up. Maybe you should search again.

JIM 22:12 03 Jan 2005

I take some where along the line the program did not uninstall as suggested by the author,or was there a problem during the uninstall.

Have you tried reinstalling the program again and then uninstall via program info supplied.

Ballie 22:18 03 Jan 2005

YOU ARE THE MAN,

just deleted startup in windows/system 32 an 80 kb file and its gone.

hip hip hooray

Technotiger 22:20 03 Jan 2005

Good news - don't forget the Green Tick - Resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?