How do you to put computer onto standby?

Nuneatonian 17:46 04 Jun 2007

Hi there
How do you put a computer into standby? I don't know anything about it. What shuts down,what stays on, what you have to do to start up. What problems can occur? I would be grateful if the information could be simple, I am not that technical. My computer is a few years old and it is ME.

thanks in advance.
Nuneatonian

birdface 18:09 04 Jun 2007

Start ,Turn off computer, Then click standby.

rawprawn 18:09 04 Jun 2007

Does this help?
click here

Quiet Life 18:20 04 Jun 2007

If a few years old your power supply fan will probably continue to run and system fan if you have one. On later computers these stop and this is obviously very much better. Some people never switch off and leave on stamdby all the time.

Stuartli 18:24 04 Jun 2007

You would probably be better Enabling Hibernation; if your system is on Standby and you have a power cut or other problem, then you will lose unsaved data.

However, when you go into Hibernation form, all current open programs, applications etc are Saved and the system closes down.

When you press the power button to reboot, the system resumes at exactly the point where you put it into Hibernation.

Hibernation is set up from Control Panel>Power Options; you might also have to Enable Power Options in the Bios.

Stuartli 18:24 04 Jun 2007

I'm presuming this applies to ME...:-)

Graham. 19:35 04 Jun 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone