How do you make a CD bootable

numinbah 11:39 10 Feb 2006

I have a number of Rar files which which I have downloaded, I need to amalgamate these files into an ISO file which will then boot a new machine needless to say the files are an OS, not Linux. I have Nero to burn the file with. If any one can talk me through this I would be a happy man I have tried to do this myself to no avail any help would be appreciated
Thanks....

Sidetrax 11:45 10 Feb 2006

Nero burning ROM or Alcohol 120% would be better I think

Thalmus 11:54 10 Feb 2006

All you would need to do is select the 'burn disk image' in nero and then select the ISO file. An ISO file is a disk image so if was orginally bootable thne so will the new copy be

Koochy 20:17 10 Feb 2006

If you have Nero 6 reloaded or later go into the start smart area and select cd or dvd then select the icon that says bootable cd or dvd.

Thalmus 20:23 10 Feb 2006

No, he is trying to write a CD image to a disk, if he was making a data disk to be made bootable then he would use this option, but he isn't

numinbah 12:21 11 Feb 2006

Thanks Guys for your input,

I will try to explain more fully what I’m trying to do.
I have these Rar files 9 to be exact, I have them in a directory on my comp What I want to do is to put these files onto a CD, before I can do this I presume that I have to run the first Rar file which opens the other 8, this results in one large file which is an amalgamation of all of the files. I then want to put this large file onto a CD, but this CD has to boot because I want to install what is on the CD (an operating system) onto a new machine that has a formatted new hard drive in it and NO operating system

Any further input from you would be appreciated.

Thalmus 12:55 11 Feb 2006

Ok so you've extracted the ISO file, you need to burn this to a CD in nero. Select the burn disk image opption and select the ISO file. If the orginal CD that this image was created from was bootable then the new CD that you created will be bootable also

Stuartli 13:26 11 Feb 2006

Just as a Windows operating system CD is bootable.

numinbah 13:27 13 Feb 2006

Thanks for all the help given it was much appreciated
my problem is RESOLVED.
Regards numinbah....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?