How do you make backups of CD's? Not illegal 1's

Midsman2005 16:22 23 Nov 2005

Hello All,

Windows XP OS.

We had a programmer at work who wrote several prgrams for us and these are currently saved on to a series of CDs. To install the software you simply put the CD in the drive and away it goes and the cd self boots, etc.

The CD's do not have any copyright proetection software on them or anything like that...and we obviously own the copyright for the software on them. So nothing about this is illegal in any way whatsoever!

The problem I now have is that the programmer has left our company and I have discovered that we only have one copy of each CD.

Basically, if these CD's became damaged or lost we would be in a bit of a mess as all this software has been written as a one off.

What I would like to do is create a backup of each of them so I can store them nice and safely in case the original ones go missing or get damaged.

I know I can simply drag and drop the files from the CD onto the hard drive and then drag and drop them onto a blank cd. But I am worried I will lose some sort of data if I do this(?) What I would really like to do is simply copy the CD as is...in the same sort of way you used to copy floppy disks...if that makes sense!

Is this possible?...and if so is there any cheap or even free software I can use to do it.

Thanks.

rbolwell2 16:36 23 Nov 2005

All you need to do is use a piece of Cd authoring software such as Nero Express or Roxio Easy CD Crater software

I know the former can be picked up from click here for a couple of quid.

Simply install the software and when run, just click Copy entire disk.

Follow the instructions and bobs your uncle

Stuartli 16:38 23 Nov 2005

If you have a copy of Nero or similar burning program just use the Copy Disk feature.

It's best to use the imaging method (i.e. copy the disk to your hard drive first) and then burn it to the new CD.

Put the disk to be copied in your CD/DVD-ROM drive (if you have one) and the blank disk in the rewriter.

Nero will then control the operation from start to finish; if you need more than one copy of a disk alter the figure from one in Nero to how many you require.

You will be prompted to insert a new blank disk after each burning; the burned disk will automatically be ejected once the burning has finished.

To make it as simple as possible use NeroExpress if you have it.

Stuartli 16:38 23 Nov 2005

Great minds think alike...:-)

Devil Fish 16:43 23 Nov 2005

the way i would do it is create an iso image of the cd on the hard drive ( this will be an exact copy of the cd)then burn it your burning software may
already have the tools to create iso's check the help menu

Devil Fish 16:45 23 Nov 2005

Ooops sorry for the repeat guys doing 3 things at once a bit slow on the post button

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?