How Do you Lock a Backup Program.

prince midas 09:50 24 Jan 2007

In my new backup program it asks me to lock when I am making a backup.
When I click yes it says Error & gives me the options to lock about a dozen check lists.
What does it mean & what do I check.

What is locking all about?

rawprawn 10:17 24 Jan 2007

Which backup program?

prince midas 10:36 24 Jan 2007

Software Solution Ghost 11.

When it loads it asks me if I wish to lock the program.When I click yes it says a program is already running & gives error 640.

I run it in a dos window as suggested.I do not know how to run in full Dos but I have used safemode which gives me a dos window.

rawprawn 10:41 24 Jan 2007

I'm sorry I don't know that program, I was going to suggest try running it in safe mode but you have been there. You can download CmdHere.exe to get into DOS. I hope that helps, good luck.

rawprawn 10:41 24 Jan 2007

click here sorry forgot the link.

prince midas 11:13 24 Jan 2007

Thanks Rawprawn but I have been down this route. Looks like the program although it loads & use the full screen when I boot into a dos window & then when I ask it to create an image it asks me for the image name <how much compression Do I want etc then when I click on create it comes up with an error.A source volume could not be locked as it is in use by another process.Do you wish to attempt to force a dismount on the volume,Yes or No.
When I click Yes or No it comes up with same answer a source volume could not be locked {640}
Looks like this is one program I shall not be using.

rawprawn 17:34 24 Jan 2007

Acronis True image
click here

Diemmess 17:49 24 Jan 2007

I used to use an early version of Ghost

If making images still requires what I think all these programs do, then it cannot be run while Windows is running, because "the carpet is shifting all the time" ie windows is dynamic and cannot be frozen and running at the same time.

I assume that you must boot from the Ghost CD or a floppy you prepared earlier. This boots not into windows which by virtue of not running, is locked!

I do hope that makes sense.

prince midas 12:13 25 Jan 2007

I was just given the Ghost32.exe file by an aquaintence & it will boot from the windows dos prompt & the program loads but as I said previously it tells me the program is locked [640].

I have no floppy for it & as it is around 5Gig it is too big for a floppy & I do not know how to make a boot CD with only this one file.So looks like I will have to forget it until I can gain more information from the makers at a later date.
I am beginning to wonder if it a beta file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?