how do you load an OS on a laptop????Help :-(

Kitz E Kat 13:23 11 Jul 2003

Hi, i just got a DEll latitude P3 jobbie..
I screwed the thing up quicker than a Kat can eat a tasty fish!!!
It was running 98 se, it has a cd and a floppy drive but you can only use one at a time, as there is only one drive bay.

I loaded the floppy drive and booted from that,did the FDISK and FORMAT thing!!

And then the funny bit, when i get to the point that i need the CD drive i have to swap out the drive, but then the computer wants to see the floppy.

I did burn the contents of a boot floppy on to a CD, no joy.

I did copy the contents of the boot floppy to the C: drive, but could not change to the C: drive,

Im all out of ideas, please help!!!!

Thanks,

A sad Kat :-(

load the OS from a remote location via the parallel port

Megatyte 13:29 11 Jul 2003

Copy the CD to the C drive, boot from the floppy, switch to C and run setup from there. Once installed remove the copy of CD.

AH

Djohn 13:31 11 Jul 2003

Go into BIOS and set your CD drive as the "First" bootable drive, exit saving the setting. insert your 98se CD and re-boot your Laptop. It will then allow you to install direct from the CD.

Make sure your Laptop is plugged into the mains power as it will require this extra power to install the O/S. Regards. j.

Quiller. 13:34 11 Jul 2003

You should not need the floppy disk.

Switch the machine on and enter the bios, usually by pressing the delete key.

Pick advance cmos settings and then first boot. Change this to cdrom. Press esc to go back to the main screen. Then pick save settings and exit.

The machine will reboot. Have your cdrom drive in with the win98 cd in.

It should now do every thing the floppy did. Pick start with cdrom support. At the a;\ prompt, type a:\ sys c: This should then say system transfered. You can now install the operating system.

Quiller. 13:34 11 Jul 2003

Slow arthritic fingers. lol

Djohn 13:44 11 Jul 2003

I'm just the same, but started to type the reply at 13:24 and used less words. :o(

Quiller. 14:46 11 Jul 2003

I got half way through and had to rush in to the garden. Threat of rain, so had to cover the garden chairs.

Rush, that's a laugh. lol

Kitz E Kat 18:13 11 Jul 2003

Cheers all ,, will give it a go ASAP..
Thanks..
Kitz E Kat

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache