How do you know if you are part of a botnet?

rsignals 00:06 29 Apr 2007

With millions of computers worldwide (supposedly) infected, and their users unaware, how do you tell if you are infected?

Probabilitydrive 00:28 29 Apr 2007

You would expect that the virus that is used to make your computer into a zombie might cause your computer to slow down, display mysterious messages, or work in an unexpected manner.

Other syptoms may include:

1. A suddenly sluggish broadband connection
2.Excessive hard drive activity
3.An unresponsive mouse or keyboard
4.Email bounce notifications in your inbox from people you never tried to contact

Further info.

click here
click here

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:50 29 Apr 2007

There is a huge amount of nonsense and hype peddled by lazy article writers trying to fill a dedline and there is an equal amount spouted by certain websites.
Just use an updated AV, any old firewall and a real time scanning programme such as Spyware terminator and you will be OK. Try not to hammer the Pr0n sites too much and refuse to accept any 'offers' of 'free' registry/trojan/virus checks that op-up whilst you are online. As a home user there is NEVER any need to pay for an AV/firewall (if you feel that you need one) and a spyware programme.

G

missingit 15:20 29 Apr 2007

Wise words,
I do,as you put it"hammer Pr0n sites",and have never had a major problem.

Nellie2 16:33 29 Apr 2007

I'm afraid that sort of attitude is why the internet is in such poor shape.

Unfortunately, computers and broadband connections don't come with automatic security awareness and PC knowhow. And the criminals that run these botnets (and very profitable it is too) are doing very well thank you, so it is a problem... a big problem.

All that is needed is a trojan to open a backdoor, these trojans can be distributed by any means, through IRC, through IM, through email and even from malicious websites.

I certainly don't consider the articles I've linked to below to be nonsense and hype and their authors are definitely not lazy article writers.

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Input Overload 00:21 30 Apr 2007

Interestingly the well thought of Anti-Trojan program BoClean that was a pay for program has been bought by Comodo & now is free. I've used it for some years & I have been very pleased with it.

Input Overload 00:23 30 Apr 2007

Link click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?