How do you go Wireless?

roblinz 10:19 13 Nov 2007

Hi Everyone,

I have recently bought a new laptop. It has Windows Vista Basic and it is wirless enabled (whatever that means??). I want to be able to go wirless so that i can use my laptop around my home but not really to share connection with another computer. I have been looking at buying a router but Im not sure if this is the correct peice of equipment I need. If anyone could help that would be great.

Please forgive my stupidity!!!

crazynurse 10:32 13 Nov 2007

You need a router, and an internet connection.

You sound as though you are very inexperienced with PC's so you may need a hand to set up a wireless network, but most routers come with reasonable instructions within them as to how to set them up.

Have you a tech savvy friend who could help you a little more?

Do you REALLY NEED a wireless network or would you be OK with a fixed connection?

Taff™ 11:17 13 Nov 2007

Presume you have a broadband connection already. If so is it a BT (ADSL) connection or a cable broadband connection? (Virgin Media) The former needs a wireless Router/Modem that replaces your existing modem and the latter requires a wireless router that connects to the existing supplied modem. You can pick up the links from click here

As crazynurse says they are pretty simple to set up and we`ll help you here! Post back with any questions along the way.

collinsc 11:41 13 Nov 2007

If you are pretty friendly with your neighbours, you could ask if you can share their network...
in which case all you need is a router and no PC..

ambra4 12:11 13 Nov 2007

Take a read here will help you to understand about wireless nerworking

click here

roblinz 16:53 13 Nov 2007

Thanks everybody for replying. I have Virgin Media broadband , so I take it I just need to buy a router, but do I need a wireless adapter for my laptop?

keef66 16:56 13 Nov 2007

No, if it says the laptop's wireless enabled, it means it has the wireless adapter built in.

just make sure you get a cable router if your Virgin BB is via cable.

roblinz 17:05 13 Nov 2007

Thanks for your speedy response!

I am going to buy a router very soon...so I will let you know how I get on.. Fingers crossed!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:18 13 Nov 2007

You need one of these click here

helen_312 18:53 13 Nov 2007

here is a thread we helped to get a router connected to virgin broad band. click here
As you can see. It is fairly easy and you should be up and running in less than 30 minutes.

the router was one of the poular belkin models

helen_312 18:56 13 Nov 2007

There seems to be a bit of confusion on how you receive your broadband.

Is it by virgin cable or is the modem connected to your telephone line?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?