How do you get listed on search engines?

STEVE71163 11:18 17 Jun 2003

Can you tell me how you get listed on google etc?

MichelleC 11:24 17 Jun 2003

This question is a big one and there's lots of ways, but here's a few.

You can pay them to get listed;

Or you can use meta tag method (some say outdated now);

Spidering method.

OneSirKnight 11:26 17 Jun 2003
  Pesala 11:33 17 Jun 2003
  Pesala 11:38 17 Jun 2003

but there is a serious point here.

By typing a few key words into Google's search engine, it will give you a few ideas of how to present your website better.

Just imagine the problems if your company was in the business of selling Spam! You, know, Luncheon meat!

HighTower 14:36 17 Jun 2003

Try putting alternate text behind any images you have in the site. Also, some engines like to see a contact address at both the header and footer of the page (in text of course). Downside is that this can make your webpages look a little unattractive.

Next thing is to register the site with all the major search engines then wait around 6 months for it to start spidering!

MichelleC is right about Meta Tags. I think that most engines don't bother with them now.

Jester2K II 14:58 17 Jun 2003

"MichelleC is right about Meta Tags. I think that most engines don't bother with them now"

Google certainly does!!

click here for a freeware tool to help you generate those MetaTags!

STEVE71163 18:28 17 Jun 2003

Many thanks for replys!

HighTower 09:39 18 Jun 2003

If you're serious about getting your site highly rated in search engines have a look at this link: click here. The ball game changes frequently as the search engines change the way they work. When I mentioned that Meta Tags were not really bothered with much that was probably a little vague, but I really don't think that just chucking some into HTML and submitting the site to google will work well for you. There are so many other things to consider.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?