How do you delete Internet Explorer?

Totally-braindead 01:07 20 Apr 2003

I'm having severe internet related problems and I've tried everything I can think of. I'm forced to conclude theres only 2 ways out of this 1. blank the computer and reinstall everything from scratch or 2. delete my network connection and reinstall that from scratch. I've decided to try no.2 first. Now having decided what I want to do I've discovered I don't know how to do it. I'm using Win98se and connecting to Freeserve. The problem I have is when I try to reinstall Freeserve the installation halts because it detects that " the latest version of Internet Explorer is already installed on my system" so the question is how do I delete Internet Explorer from my computer so I can reinstall the Freeserve?
Any help would be very appreciated.

ton 01:24 20 Apr 2003

If you go to add/remove progams in control panel and click to remove Internet Explorer you will have an option to repair it.

beeuuem 01:51 20 Apr 2003

Why not set up the connection manually?
click here
You can start the Internet Connection wizard by clicking Start, pointing to Control Panel, clicking on Internet Options, Connections , then on the Setup tab.

Totally-braindead 15:00 20 Apr 2003

I'm afraid I've tried all this. Thanks for your input though guys, I'll keep trying.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:21 20 Apr 2003

This way usually cures IE problems...get a disk with IE on and load. When you get to the 'custom/typical' screen choose 'custom' and ensure that everything is ticked APART from media and languages. Continue to load.

Then, without restarting the computer go to start-control panel-add/remove progs-windows setup-communications and untick DUN. (ps you may need your windows disk) Reboot computer. Retick DUN and reboot again.

Then go to start-find-files or folders, type in Hosts (no extension) and hit Enter. Open any hosts file you find in notepad and if there are oodles of www address delete everyone. This will free up your reserves.

If you have probs d/ling Freeserve from a disk then set it up manually using this page...click here it is easy to do and saves having all the naff logos cluttering up your computer. If you have probs setting up the connection post here.

If the above does not work then a reformat and reload OS is on the cards. If you have been using the OS for 4 years or so I would reformat whether or not.

G

VoG™ 15:32 20 Apr 2003
  woodchip 15:42 20 Apr 2003

Get IEradicator2001.zip you can remove IE all together from your computer then reistall from a Mag CD from click here

Totally-braindead 16:11 20 Apr 2003

Thanks very, very much guys, I'll go give it a try and post back once I know whats happened.

Forum Editor 16:17 20 Apr 2003

what exactly the problem is in the first place? You don't actually need to instal Freeserve's branded version of Internet Explorer in order to connect to them - as Gandalf has already said.

You can reinstall I.E. from your hard drive, without the need to remove anything, and I think that perhaps we could help you through this stage by stage - just tell us what has happened that has got you into this situation.

Totally-braindead 19:53 20 Apr 2003

Thanks FE but its too late, its all sorted now. Basically my Internet Connection kept cutting off. Made evaluating the StarOffice even more interesting as it took a while to get your instructions for the tasks. Anyway I contacted BT to do a line test, everything ok there, so I then tried to contact Freeserve ( after checking all the settings of course ) and found that I couldn't email them - the fault was on their end for this at least - so I ended up having to phone them , at 50p a minute I was starting to get a bit annoyed. After 3 phone calls and various advice I gave up. Ended up blanking the computer and reinstalling everything, not my favourite task and I'm never too happy when I don't know what was wrong in the first place but there you are. Thanks to everyone especially Gandalf and VoG.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache