How Do The Japanese Get 1 Gig Broadband

Input Overload 21:14 05 Jan 2010

Sooner or later Virgin are going to kick up to 100 MegBit,(According to a friendly tech I was talking to, & he said the system can go over 200 MegBit) which is still at least theoretically within the bounds of a PC network connection.

I was reading that some parts of Tokyo & Korea have available a 1 Gig MegBit connection. How do they get that speed into their PC's as it's ten times faster than a network card, at least in UK PC's?

jamesd1981 21:20 05 Jan 2010

because the japanese spent millions on their underground infastructure its mostly all fibre optic where as here very little is fibre optic cable.

interzone55 21:21 05 Jan 2010

I'd be interesting in knowing how they get gigabit connections over long distances without laying singlemode fibre to everyone's house.

Most modern PCs and laptops now have gigabit network cards, but copper (ie standard Cat6 network cables) can only carry gigabit links over very short distances.

Unfortunately we are seriously hampered in this country as our phone network is built on Cat3 cables that are quite elderly. It's almost a miracle that these cables can carry our relatively slow ADSL links...

Input Overload 21:29 05 Jan 2010

I probably didn't make my point clear, I understand the advantages of Fibre, what I mean is how do they get the connection into the PC as we use network connections at the moment with a top speed of 100 MegBit. alan has answered my question.

Input Overload 21:31 05 Jan 2010

I use Virgin 50 Meg Bit at the moment. Fibre to the cabinet & then coax for the last 20 feet here.

Input Overload 21:39 05 Jan 2010

Sorry about this being another post but the tech from Virgin also recommended I use CAT6 cables from the modem to router to PC. They were relativity cheap & have better shielding which he said can give you am extra Meg or 2 as they reject extraneous signals. They are quite a bit thicker.

interzone55 22:10 05 Jan 2010

As I mentioned, most PCs now have a gigabit network connection, but this isn't totally necessary.

The gigabit connection (if it actually exists, I feel this may be a bit of hype) will go to the router, and individual PCs can connect at whatever speed they're capable of.

The thing is, most websites will be connected to the net at lower speeds, so won't be able to feed the data fast enough, and the ISPs will quickly become overloaded. I read this week that O2 are having trouble coping with the load caused by their all their customers connecting at "up to 20mbs".

Here's a test you can do to see how much bandwidth you actually need. Open the task manager (right click on the task bar to open this) and select the networking tab. Now open 6 or 7 browser windows and load new pages in each, the BBC home page or something. I doubt you suck up more than about a megabit doing this...

Input Overload 22:25 05 Jan 2010

Yes I have done that a few times to 'max out' the connection. I usually get between 45 - 48, sometimes more. 'Zen fuller' is a useful download site as you can download 100 meg bin files and 'max out'your connection. A lot of speed test sites don't give a true indication as the amount downloaded etc. is too small.

And I agree at the end of the day you are at the mercy of the speeds a sites server/internet conditions are at any one time. It's very rare I get anything like my available speed with the exception of MS a few days ago. They must have some decent gear, I'd like a gander through their comms rooms.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache