How do I work out my internet speed?

geek84 09:20 21 May 2014

Good Morning Folks

How do I work out my internet speed?

At present, my provider (Virgin Media) states that I get a speed of 60mb per second. Is that good?

I only use the internet for browsing web pages and never download music. The only downloads that I do are some documents that are attached to emails sent to me by colleagues/friends.

If I downgrade to a lesser speed, would it make much difference?

Thanks

wiz-king 10:30 21 May 2014

There are plenty of speed checkers about. No, but if you stream TV programs you may have problems.

BRYNIT 11:55 21 May 2014

Up to 50MB is the slowest speed Virgin Media offers these days if yo are on a higher speed you may save a few pound down grading to this.

BT 17:46 21 May 2014

I'm on VM 60mb but rarely get that.

The Speedtest site will give wildly varying speeds depending on the server it selects automatically. I get anything between 19 and 52 depending on the server. I live in Norwich and the Norwich server is usually slow, whereas the Basildon server is much faster although much further away.

john bunyan 18:38 21 May 2014

I only have a "up to 8 mbps" connection and find it perfectly adequate - I do not download films nor play online games. I am interested , for amateur use, what these super speeds are needed for. I use Speedtest.net

wiz-king 18:54 21 May 2014

john bunyan The only advantage of higher speed is if you want to play online games or watch video/tv without the circle of buffering.(or waiting for PCA to load the adverts)

john bunyan 19:56 21 May 2014

wiz-king

Thanks for the explanation. I only watch catch up TV on s LG smart TV in a room remote from the router. For ages I tried to get it going using the built in wireless connection and got a 0.8 mbps download - hopeless amount of buffering. In the same spot in that room my iPad gets over 8mbps. Recently bought a pair of Homeplugs - job done - get over 8mbps with no buffering. I suspect that I Player etc work ok at about 3mbps or better.

Number six 22:59 21 May 2014

If you are using only one device requiring internet connection, there is little point in going much over 20 - 30 Mb. You will notice little or no speed gains. If all you do is a little general browsing, 10Mb is probably sufficient.

These super-fast speeds of 60Mb upwards are really intended for households which need video-streaming capabilities and multi-user connections.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?