How do I view wmm files on my

ameba 19:11 03 Apr 2006

dvd recorder/player?
I made up a windows movie maker video made up of pictures and music. jpegs and mp3s.
Once I saved movie and burned it onto dvd.
I can view it my pc. But I can't view it on my video/dvd recorder which is connected to tv.
When I put disc in it says making disc ready for recording. Need to erase what is on disc.
Do I need some software to make it play on my vcr/dvd recorder player?
Do i need to convert my vids on pc to some other format before burning onto dvd?
If anyone can help. Please explain as though talking to a 6 year old. :)
I have windows xp. and used dvd rw +

Bagsey 19:18 03 Apr 2006

How did you burn the disc.What program did you use? Did you finalise the disc after burning?This is necessary for most DVD players.

ameba 19:22 03 Apr 2006

I don't think I finalised it. I used windows media player to burn.
How do I "finalise".

ameba 19:37 03 Apr 2006

Sorry. Didn't use windows media player. It was divx player 6.

GroupFC 20:13 03 Apr 2006

What format did you save the MovieMaker movies as? and I assume that you initially saved this to your hard drive?

Most of the formats in MovieMaker save the file as .wmv. These will play in window media player (and I assume Divx player 6 supports this format too although I am not familar with this app.).

It is possible (apart from the matter of finalising the disc), that the divx player uses the divx codec to encode the movie when burning to disc. If this is the case then I think you will need a dvd player that supports divx movies.

ameba 20:27 03 Apr 2006

Got the divx converter to but my dvd player says invalid title?
see if that helps but it didn't.
I am finalising it. Just can't understand how people can do this and I can't? :)

ameba 20:28 03 Apr 2006

Sorry! that should have read differently.

Got the divx converter to see if that helps but it didn't. but my dvd player says invalid title?

I am finalising it. Just can't understand how other people can do this and I can't? :)

GroupFC 20:44 03 Apr 2006

I'm not an expert (by any means!), but I suspect that the DVD player is not playing ball, because the disc hasn't been finalised.

ameba 20:49 03 Apr 2006

It says finalising after it has burned. Should I be doing something else apart from waiting when it says finalising and file burned successfully?
I guess I may need to get a hold of someone in the know to see what i am actually doing and tell me what I need.
Thanks for trying to help. Guy in work says the same as you and said he would need to see my set up for himself.
I'll try and sweet talk him into coming over. :)

De Marcus™ 20:59 03 Apr 2006

If I'm right, your trying to burn to dvd a slideshow with a musical background?

If that's the case then there are a few things wrong with this scenario, windows movie maker will allow you to create your masterpiece but only for viewing on your PC, the resultant file will be a windows movie maker file and as such not recogniseable by a dvd player (standalone), for a file like this to work you need to burn the file to DVD disk as a .vob file or a highmat type CD.

To burn to DVD your much better off starting with a prigram specifically built to do this or that has the function built in, Nero is one of these but there are hundreds of them, some possibly free.

If you want to go down the HighMat route, then you need to do the following:

The Recordable CD saving option in movie maker lets you save your movie for playback on a recordable or rewriteable CD (CD-R or CD-RW). When this option is selected, the final movie is saved to a recordable or rewriteable CD in the Save Movie Wizard.

In Windows Movie Maker, movies saved to a recordable CD are saved by using Microsoft HighMAT™ technology. A HighMAT (High-performance Media Access Technology) CD can contain audio, video, and pictures. HighMAT-compatible consumer electronic devices recognize how the content is organized on the CD, and enable users to play content using the displayed menus. The recordable CD can be played back on a computer as well. For more information about HighMAT, see the Microsoft Web site. Most dvd players support highmat.

You can choose to save one or more movies to a recordable CD, which typically holds up to 650 MB. Therefore, you may have one large movie or several smaller movies on the same CD. You can save several movies to the same recordable or rewriteable CD at different times. This lets you add more movies to a recordable CD as you create and save more movies at different times in Windows Movie Maker

If you click the Recordable CD option, the Save Movie Wizard proceeds as follows.

Specify a movie file name and CD name.
Choose a setting for saving your movie.
Wait for your movie to be saved.
Complete the Save Movie Wizard.

De Marcus™ 21:00 03 Apr 2006

Sorry I forgot to spellcheck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?