How do I use a recovery CD for WinME?

fudge 20:10 24 Mar 2005

I have a windows ME recovery CD that originally came with a Systemax PC, but I don't know how to install it.

I want to overwrite windows if possible but if not I will do a complete re-install. However, the CD doesn't autorun and it won't boot from the CD.

If I browse the CD the only file that refers to windows (the rest are utilities loaded on the CD)opens a DOS window and I have no idea what commands are needed. The original recovery instructions are missing.

Does anybody know how I recover windows from this CD?

BRYNIT 21:10 24 Mar 2005

Have you tried the Systemax web site click here

jolorna 22:28 24 Mar 2005

usually you will shut down & restart the computer with the recovery cd inserted in the drive

VoG II 22:32 24 Mar 2005
  fudge 22:36 24 Mar 2005

Thanks, I'll try their support.

I didn't find this site - I located the UK site but there was no support and only broken links to their other sites.

fudge 22:48 24 Mar 2005

Sorry, last post written before jolorna and VoG posted!

Thanks for the replies, but I have changed the boot order in the BIOS so it reads the CD first and it still won't boot from the CD. I suspect there's a key to hold down whilst it's booting but I'm only guessing and I've no idea which key!

lotvic 22:49 24 Mar 2005

usually with a recovery cd you:

put the cd in

turn off the pc - leaving the cd in

then switch the pc back on.

The recovery cd will then kick in and give you options, repair, reinstall, format drive etc etc.

(This is how the IBM recovery cd worked on my old pc)

BRYNIT 23:24 24 Mar 2005

Do you have Tech-In-A-Box Utilities On your computer if so read this click here

lotvic 23:32 24 Mar 2005

you beat me to it - must type faster

fudge
windows ME recovery CD Systemax PC
I went to website:
systemaxpc.com
> support > FAQs > number 10,

HOW TO: Perform A "Factory" Or "User" Restore Using Tech-In-A-Box
(Article: 839)

apparently you need to download and run 'Tech-In-A-Box' in order to use the recovery cd.

-there seems to be a lot to do to use the recovery cd!
hope this will help to solve it.

woodchip 23:36 24 Mar 2005

As the CD got a very big file on it

fudge 09:03 25 Mar 2005

Thanks, but again I had already tried that. The Tech-in-a-box application merely uses the System Restore and Backup facilities already on the system and a complete re-install only works if the original factory configuration still exists on the computer (mine doesn't). Also my system restore, despite numerous tweaks, hasn't created restore points for some time. When I try to run the 're-install to factory settings' feature it tell me to use the recovery Cd that came with the computer - catch22!!

So unless I can find a way to start from the CD I'm up the creek.

Woodchip - what do you mean? There are several uitility folders (drivers, tools etc,) on there including windows restore, but I don't know what you mean by big. I can open the folders in windows explorer, but the windows restore opens in s DOS window and I don't know anything about DOS so can't respond to the prompt.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache