How do i use PCMCIA Flash Adaptor?

michaelgm 06:31 03 Jul 2003

I have just purchased the above compact flash card adapter for my Laptop (XP Home).This may sound daft but once it is slotted in with the memory card, how do I aquire the pictures? Also what is the difference between my Type 1 and Type 1/11?

Lú-tzé 07:52 03 Jul 2003

When you put the card into the adaptor, it will most likely appear as new drive in "My Computer" - like a cd/floppy/hdd etc. That way you can open it up with windows explorer and copy the files to the hdd or wherever you want them.

Type 1 is only half the thickness of type two so often you can have two type one cards in the slots or only one type 2.

hssutton 09:16 03 Jul 2003

Lú-tzé I'm a little intrigued by your last statement That type one is only half the thickness of type two. As I have a number of these C/flash cards I thought I would measure them. I find that my C/flash (1) is 4mm in thickness and C/flash is 5mm

Lú-tzé 10:19 03 Jul 2003

hssutton - fair enough! I don't have either - just know that the slot for the type two pcmcia cards is twice as thick as the slot for the type one card (or vice versa perhaps). I have not used one of either type for quite some time now but seem to remember that the pcmcia modem I had for a laptop back in the early 1990s was much thinner (well, more than 20% thinner) than the pcmcia external hdd which held all of 40mb. I never took the time to measure either :-}.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)