How do I use mouse keys in Vista?

Trenny 17:12 11 Jul 2014
Answered

I have followed the directions on click here, but this is for windows 7 and doesn't appear to work in my Vista laptop. I was directed to m/enable/demos/windowsvista/mousedemo.aspx, but there is a message saying that a plugin is needed for this demo., but no further directions. Can anyone help, please?

Woolwell 17:32 11 Jul 2014

Do you have a numeric keyboard?

Woolwell 17:35 11 Jul 2014

It should be the same in Vista. Check Num Lock is not on. Keyboard easiere to use Vista

Trenny 22:13 12 Jul 2014

Thank you woolwell. I have now followed quite a few of the ease of access direcions. Yes, I have a numeric keyooard, but can't get it working ie specifically - how can I use the keyboard to go from one proram icon to the next on the desktop (ie main screen)?

I have set up quite a few short-cut keys, but they don't always work eg alt+ctl+F to open Firefox.

Woolwell 22:34 12 Jul 2014
Answer

Does this help? But more specifically to move from one icon to another: Use Windows key + D then use the arrow keys (not the number pad) to move around the icons.

Woolwell 22:39 12 Jul 2014

With ctrl + alt + f you have to ensure that all 3 are held down at the same time. That can be tricky at times.

Woolwell 09:58 13 Jul 2014

Thinking about access problems I wondered if you have ever tried a touchscreen. This would not work with Vista but my touch screen W8 laptop means that I don't have to use a mouse or trackpad.

Trenny 23:00 14 Jul 2014

Thank you Woolwell. Winkey + D and using the arrow keys is real progress!

I'll have a play with one of the touch screen laptops when I am next in a computer store, but i am not sure thst it would help with my hand tremor.

Re mousekeys. I can turn it on using alt, left shift and num lock. But I can't see how to move the cursor with the numeric keyboard.One page I found on the net is eg to press 7 to go up and to the left, or to move it up press 8. I will play with this further...

Woolwell 09:57 15 Jul 2014

You can set the speed at which the cursor moves. It may be set to too slow.

Woolwell 09:58 15 Jul 2014

It works ok for me on W7.

Trenny 10:36 19 Jul 2014

Woolwell. This is a steep learning curve. I seem to have lost the ability to use winkey + D to move around the desktop items. It togglesd between the open programs instead. I am following the directions in the bbc link you sent. ALSO I cannot get the mouse to move using the number pad. I may have misunderstood - Pressing /6 does absolutely nothing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?