How do I use Ice Sword?

Pineman100 18:58 11 Oct 2006

In the current issue of PCA, they recommend a rootkit scanner called Ice Sword, which is a free download.

I have downloaded this software, but I'm a bit uncertain how to use it. Should I add it to my startup folder, so that it runs in the background? Or do I have to run regular scans with it? Whichever is correct - how do I do this?

Any advice and help (in simple language!) would be much appreciated.

SANTOS7 19:20 11 Oct 2006

click here
click here
Having read some of the content about ICE SWORD it really doesn't seem to be the best prog on the planet and if you are not sure how to use it or you do not understand the "read me" files (how to use)
then i would not, as you may do more harm than good ..

Pineman100 19:29 11 Oct 2006

I think you're right. I'll back off this one!

johndrew 10:44 12 Oct 2006

I have had a similar problem. From the write-up in PCA (Nov `06) it looked extremely good so I installed from the DVD but there is no Help file or any indication of how to run it or risks involved.

It would appear that SANTOS7 is correct in his conclusion from the postings in the links which causes me to wonder why PCA included it with such a a strong recommendation. I have trouble with much of the `techie` side of software and such as this could leave me with no computer (if the links are correct).

Perhaps PCA would like to consider this particular scanner and either produce a guide `(in simple language!)` advising both usage and risks, or failing that provide advice for the less techie minded readers of the magazine (unless the magazine is not designed for such as me????!!)

spuds 12:24 12 Oct 2006

Strange really, Ice Sword is being offered quite freely recently, and by all accounts it seems as though the original programme was non-English, with later conversion to English. Help or advice seems very limited!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017