How do I Update BIOS?

JAS100 22:43 12 Dec 2005

I have an Acer 345T Travelmate that I want to use with WinXP Home (600Mhz & 192.MB). I installed XP home but It keeps freezing. There are suggestions that I should update the BIOS and I have downloaded a newer flash version from the Acer site. However The program runs in DOS so I have now reinstalled Win98 and started the BIOS Flash program from the floppy drive. The program says I can do 4 things with it.
1. SAVE BIOS TO DISK FILE
2. LOAD BIOS FIE TO BUFFER
3. EDIT OEM STRING
4. PROGRAM FLASH ROM

What do I need to do?

Regards John

VoG II 22:46 12 Dec 2005

Think about this very carefully. Wrongly flashing the BIOS is a very good way to make a PC unbootable (useless).

What else have you tried to address the freezing problem?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:50 12 Dec 2005

WinXP Home(600Mhz & 192.MB)

The poor thing is struggling with XP.

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

phono 23:18 12 Dec 2005

Why on earth did you reinstall Windows 98? All you had to do was create a bootable floppy, add the flasher utility and BIOS file to it, boot the PC from the floppy and flash the BIOS as per instructions.

JAS100 07:12 13 Dec 2005

In tested the memory for 8 hours overnight and all no errors were found

Thanks for the replies.

Fan vents do not seem blocked and fan is working.

Are power surged relevant as it has a battery that presumably irons these out? It can freeze when on battery power.

I Have checked for spyware and viruses..it's clean

When it freezes I have to force it to switch off. It then goes thru a disk checking routine and it sometimes freezes during that, or at any time in the boot up procedure. When it does boot up it might then work for quite some time then freeze.

Chegs ®™ 07:25 13 Dec 2005

Then its a software problem.Please don't flash the BIOS,its the shortest route to a buggered PC.I know,I did it years ago(on xmas day no less)

Strawballs 09:48 13 Dec 2005

It sounds like you are saying that it is still doing it even now that you have installed win 98 if that is the case then it is not a bios problem. You say that it is a 600mhz and 198 mb if you mean 198 mb of ram then that is not really enough to run XP.

woodchip 10:21 13 Dec 2005

Try updating the Graphics driver first

JAS100 15:06 16 Dec 2005

How would I find out if my graphics driver is up to date? It seems to be a TRIDENT VIDEO Accelerator 9525DVD 5.6033.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?