How Do I Uninstall Linux Linpus v 1.0.7?

Big Trev 12:07 06 May 2010

I have an Acer Laptop, which came with Linux Linpus v1.0.7 on it. Unfortunaly I haven't got a clue about Linux, and don't have time to learn.

I thought about taking Linux off and installing Windows XP so I could network the laptop and install software etc, but I don't know how to get rid of Linux.

The laptop doesn't have a CD drive, which is a problem. I tried installing XP from an expansion drive, but that didn't work.

Any ideas?

scotty 12:42 06 May 2010

Linux generally uses a different disk format from Windows. You will want FAT or NTFS for Windows. When you format the disk, linux will be gone.

You have no CD drive - is it a netbook (e.g. Aspire One)? You can buy an external USB CD drive but they are expensive. An alternative is to use a USB memory stick to run or install software. This is not straightforward with XP. You will need to read up on the subject.

I also suggest you google Ron's tiny XP.

Also consider replacing Linpus with another linux version which you may find easier to use. That is easy to do from a USB memory stick. In fact, you can try it out without actually installing linux by running it in "live" mode.

LastChip 13:55 06 May 2010

Take the time to learn your new system; should take all of 15 minutes!.

XP is not suitable for that machine and you will not only have to go through the process of installing it, but adding all the other "must haves" too; like anti-virus software, anti-malware software and so on. In addition, you are dumping an up-to-date system, with something that is now dated.

Learn Linux and you will be well rewarded. And frankly, if you can click on Windows, you can do the same in Linux, and that's all you have to do with Linpus.

Big Trev 15:16 06 May 2010

Sorted. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?