How Do I Transfer Office 2003 Licence To Vista?

kinger 21:19 03 Feb 2007

I am using the complete (and paid for) Office 2003 on an old computer and have now purchased a new PC.

I need to ensure that when I put Office 2003 onto the new one it's going to allow me to use it as it was activated on the old PC.

Is there an official precedure that needs completing before I lose my licence by binning the old computer. I was told that I would, somehow, need to 'close down' the old activation licence and have it transferred to the new computer.

Does anyone know of this, please?

VoG II 21:24 03 Feb 2007

All I did when transferring from my old XP PC to my new XP PC was to uninstall from the old, install on the new and activate. No problem whatsoever.

kinger 20:53 04 Feb 2007

I too have tried that with another version of Office but, after a while it stopped working on the 2nd PC.

I 'phoned MS only to be told that I had 'one computer too many' and they had to check that my old PC had been wiped (by me promising that it had) and then, after a while, I was able to run it OK. But they said that they couldn't do it again as I had used up all my activation benefits.

I was just wondering if there was an automatic way of closing one down and, therefore, allowing me to open up another.

PalaeoBill 22:50 04 Feb 2007

If you are talking about a volume licence, then you need to look at your contract. There may be a limit that you agreed too.

If this is a single user licence, Microsoft cannot deny you any reasonable request for re-activation. It doesn't matter how many rebuilds or O/S upgrades are involved; you are entitled to run your licence on one PC. In fact if you check the wording of your licence, you may be entitled to run it on a laptop as well as a desktop.

Forum Editor 23:26 04 Feb 2007

Microsoft cannot (and will not) refuse to activate your Office 2003 installation, provided you explain the circumstances to the activation-desk person when you speak to him/her. There's no need to worry about this, it happens all the time - I've activated various versions of Office more times than I can remember in the course of my work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?