How do I stop Chrome from syncing?

NotVeryTechie 11:04 23 Mar 2015

Hi there

I have a personal google account and a work google account. I have now discovered that when using Chrome, it is syncing my search history. So stuff I am searching for at home (which I may not really want to share with my work) is showing up on my work Chrome search history. I have tried logging out of my home account completely, but I am not sure this is enough. I am now facing the prospect of having to stop using Chrome completely because I cannot have this situation. Hope someone can help with this!

Belatucadrus 11:37 23 Mar 2015

Are these two distinct computers ? If so go into the work one, log onto your Work Google account open Settings, look at Sign In, to it there is a Blue underlined section saying Google Dashboard, click on it and it should open a new tab entitled Chrome Sync there's a button on the bottom of the page that says "Stop and Clear" click it and your syncd data should be cleared and not replaced.

If however it's just a single installation with two accounts on one machine I don't think Chrome can distinguish who has carried out searches, it just retains the lot.

NotVeryTechie 11:51 23 Mar 2015

Thank you so much. It was two distinct computers and two totally distinct accounts, so I will unsync both accounts, not just the work one.

Thanks again!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:12 23 Mar 2015

Once you have cleared all your google history (I use CCleaner to do this)

If you do not want google to save your search history ever again

Navigate to -

C:\Users[User Name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default

Note that you may need to enable Windows Explorer’s “show hidden files” option in order to see the AppData folder.

you’ll find a file called “History” with no file extension. Right click select properties and click the read only box.

CLick Apply

that's it job done no more history saved by google on your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017