How do I stop annoying e-mails?

I am being plagued by e-mails saying I have won a lottery fortune,offering me jobs I do not want or offering me products I do not want.I realise these are scams but is there any way of stopping these messages apart from changing my e-mail address?

VoG II 10:46 15 Jul 2007
  jack 10:57 15 Jul 2007

Programs such as suggested by VoG of course
but they can be got around.
The surest way is to shut down the E-mail client and remove from the start group then personally Monitor your mail account on the server- delete the rubbish there.
Then fire up the Client program[Outlook X Thunderbird et.al]
And get in only the stuff you really really want.

Jack,Not sure how to follow your instructions.Would you be kind enough to go through it step by step.I use Outlook Express.

bretsky 22:05 16 Jul 2007

On your home page of your ISP, (you may have to register first at no extra cost) if you are registered you can log into your "webmail" and check your email messages from there, just look for a little box saying "email-sign in" or similar, once in, you can set up spam filters etc etc as I have done with Orange Broadband and also sort out messages you want to keep and ones you can delete off the server(webmail)

The messages you wish to keep you can then download to your PC using your Outlook Express email program, as I do all the time using Mozilla Thunderbird.

HTH

bretsky ;0)

absent 22:44 16 Jul 2007

Best change your email address,the spammers have you now, in the future only give your email to trusted sites.

Alan

woodchip 22:49 16 Jul 2007

You need to use a SPAM filter

laurie53 08:34 17 Jul 2007

I think you've all missed the point.

All of these solutions will reduce spam, but Mack1 wants to stop it.

IMHO it can't yet be done, and the first person/company to produce a surefire solution will make a fortune.

jack 08:50 17 Jul 2007

Mack one wrote
Jack,Not sure how to follow your instructions.Would you be kind enough to go through it step by step.I use Outlook Express.

And Bretsky wrote
On your home page of your ISP, (you may have to register first at no extra cost) if you are registered you can log into your "webmail" and check your email messages from there, just look for a little box saying "email-sign in" or similar, once in, you can set up spam filters etc etc as I have done with Orange Broadband and also sort out messages you want to keep and ones you can delete off the server(webmail)

The messages you wish to keep you can then download to your PC using your Outlook Express email program, as I do all the time using Mozilla Thunderbird.
-------------------------o0o---------------
Thats is about it.
To summarize
Go to start
Right click on the Outlook Express icon then click 'Remove from list.'
This then stops Outlook Ex from loading at start up.
Then go to your home page. log in and look at your mail on the server.
Deal with and delete as appropriate
Delete what you do not want. keep what you do want.
Then return to your desk top and fire up Outlook Ex. when that batch is in, close down the program

This is all a bit long winded - some folk cant be bothered- but it sure is the best way.

Jackcoms 09:27 17 Jul 2007

Mailwasher, as suggested by VoG™, does exactly what has been suggested by others. It allows you to see what e-mail is waiting on your ISP's servers without using web mail.

You can then delete the spam/rubbish before launching your e-mail client.

In the long-term you can 'teach' Mailwasher to blacklist certain addresses and filter out certain words from incoming e-mail before downloading them from your ISP's servers.

To successfully stop receiving spam, stop using e-mail. It's the only solution.

PalaeoBill 09:53 17 Jul 2007

It is worth having a look at choicemail, there is a free version for home use.
click here

As laurie53 says, spam filters will not stop all spam. This is a permission based spam blocker. You start by putting your address book in its allowed list. Any one you send mail to gets put into the allowed list. Anyone who sends mail to you that is not in your allowed list gets a mail back asking them tell you who they are and give a reason why they are attempting to contact you. Legitimate mailers will do this and you can add them to your allowed list. Spammers will not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?