How do i start my computer in safe mode

koochy 14:36 30 Jul 2006

Hi all sorry if this seems so trivial to the wize and informative people on this forum but can anybody tell me how to start my pc in safe mobe i tried going through the bios settings but not much joy and didn't want to dig myself a hole as i am not too sure as to what i am doing in there.

Fujitsu Siemens scaleo p
Xp sp2

Any other details required let me know and i will try to find out.

T.I.A.

Koochy

VoG II 14:40 30 Jul 2006
  koochy 14:44 30 Jul 2006

Yet again you come to the rescue as quick as ever.
I will forever be in your debt.I will mark as resolved.

Koochy

Pidder 16:09 30 Jul 2006

The method given in your link seems rather long-winded, with 98SE I just hold down "Ctrl" on boot-up and then select "Safe Mode" when the choice comes up. Is there a similar easy way with XP?

VoG II 16:31 30 Jul 2006

Yes - you tap the F8 key when booting. You have to get the timing right though.

jimmybond 17:02 30 Jul 2006

click here
start pc safe mode instructions -> search.

you don't need to be wise, or forever in debt ;-))

koochy 18:33 30 Jul 2006

Thanks jimmy very helpfull but i had already tried that and just got bombarded with page after page of explanations on WHY to start in safe mode not HOW to start and it only took 2 minutes for VoG to give a direct quick link thanks anyway

Eargasm 00:06 31 Jul 2006

Another way ( if you can't get the f8 timing right) is to type "msconfig" in the run box and put a tick against "safeboot" under the boot.ini tab, and then restart computer.

Remember to untick it after to boot normally.

Pidder 09:41 31 Jul 2006

Apologies to koochy for butting in on this thread, thought the information might be of general interest. Thanks both for your advices.

Bogbrain 13:01 31 Jul 2006

Beats me how these people never seem to think of using the help files, even for the simplest things.

nagonlouse 14:56 31 Jul 2006

Bogbrain, Perhaps people are not as aware of the Help Files as you seem to be . Perhaps they want to use the forums as they are intended to be used. If you don`t want to help people click "PASS".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?