How Do I Setup A Wireless Broadband Connection?!!!

  cubeladd 15:45 17 Jan 2004

I currently have a capped NTL broadband connection on my computer downstairs, and I want my computer upstairs to be able to recieve this connection wirelessly. However, I am very confused about how to do this.

I have searched numerous times on the internet and have come to the conclusion that I need a router and an access point. However it's still very confusing!

Basically I need to know EXACTLY what I need to buy to set it up, and how to do it. I'm guessing the router needs to be plugged into the "ethernet" port on my modem, then I access it on my other computer using an access point through either a USB port or a PC card?

If that's the case then it would seem fairly simple, howvever there are still many questions I am confused about. Such as would my computer downstairs need to be turned on to recieve the connection? Would I have to install the broadband CD on my computer upstairs? Also would the connection slow down on both computers if both connections are being used at the same time?

I've looked at many routers availiable, but they all seem to have switches for multiple connection use, whereas I only need one. They don't seem to come with any access points also, and the access points I've looked at only seem to be availiable in PCMCIA format.

I would really appreciate some help on this matter, it's been faustrating me for months! Any advice on what products to buy would also be very welcome :)


  bremner 15:49 17 Jan 2004

click here for a home networking site giving good instruction.

  cubeladd 16:01 17 Jan 2004


Thanks for the link. That site only tells me how to set up a shared connection using dial-up though. I need to be able to share a broadband connection wirelessly.

  Kitz E Kat 16:14 17 Jan 2004

My setup is, ADSL moden, with a LAN connection , this goes to a HUB, with a uplink port (or a router), then goes to my computer on a RJ45 cable (ie a LAN cable ) and also by cable to a WAP (wireless access piont) and is then picked up by my laptop using a wireless card ..

So you need a HUB with a uplink port, i have a Linksys one and a SMC i prefer the SMC it has a built in firewall , so , check out the SMC site for the "barricade" ....

You then need a WAP i use the Linksys WAP54g, so check out the Linksys site and have a look at that..

You then need a wireless card for the upstairs PC,Linksys do them also ....

You need a couple of short CAT5 cables..

And your modem needs to have a LAN connection available, its the same as a telephone connection , except a little bigger....

I am not suggesting you get Linksys but have a look at the gear and the spec and you will get an idea as to what is what !!!

So in short you need
A modem with a LAN connection
A router, or hub with uplink port, router is better!
A WAP (wireless acces point)..
A pc wireless card...
Some cable...
Coffee...... :-)

  LeadingMNMs 16:24 17 Jan 2004

Just get a wireless router then you don't need a hub or access point. There are many available. I'm not sure how NTL BB works. If your modem has an ethernet port then your in luck, since most routers will only accept a ethernet modem and not the standard USB versions. As mentioned above you'll need a some sort of network interface, either a USB model or PCI / PCMCIA model.

The broadband software does not need to be on both machines, in fact neither machine will need this software since you will connect through the LAN. This also means that as long as the router and modem are on then either computer can access the internet without the need for the other to be on.

A cheap wireless router can be found by click here , although price varies with the type you want, either the 11Mbps 'b' technology or 54Mbps 'g' technology.

  [email protected]@m 16:29 17 Jan 2004

If this BT link works, I'll eat my hat and go and practice on my sackbut click here

  [email protected]@m 16:30 17 Jan 2004

Pass the salt.

  conrail 16:43 17 Jan 2004

looking for similar, does the broadband need to be setup on the 2nd system, ie using the setup disc? I have broadband on a pc and wishing to share with a lapton

  cubeladd 16:46 17 Jan 2004


Thanks for your advice. So all I need is to buy a router that plugs into my ethernet port, and a USB/PCI reciever?

If so.. Just to clarify, will the router/reciever need to be the same make? Also I know this is a silly question, but what is a LAN? I know it stands for 'Local Area Network' but what does this actually mean in my case?

  LeadingMNMs 07:20 19 Jan 2004

Yes you only need a router with an ethernet port an that uses a ethernet connection to link to your existing ethernet modem. The router could (assuming it has the ports) be directly connected via ethernet port to one computer and the other would need either a PCI card (for desktop - check for free slots), PCMCIA card (for laptops) or a USB adapter (for either). Or both could be connected wirelessly (though more expensive).

The hardware does not need to be from the same manufacturer (unless you buy certain equipment that claims to work at 100Mbps) as they all use the same standards. What i meant was that both computers effectively connect through the router to get access to the Internet, therefore there is no need for any broadband software on either computer and this allows both computers to have simultaneous access.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?