How do I set up separate email accounts please

Halmer 19:40 12 Jan 2004

I have set up three accounts with my ISP i.e.

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

so to speak!

How do I set these accounts up separately on my PC so that my wife and son can only look at their own accounts?

Do I have to set up separate icons etc. and if so how do I do it please?

I have XP.

beeuuem 19:46 12 Jan 2004

You need to create new identities in Outlook Express.
If you look in Help in OE it will give info on adding/ managing these.
You will need to set up the individual mail accounts in each identity.

To add a new identity

On the File menu, point to Identities, and then click Add New Identity.
Type the name of the new user.
If you want to include a password for this identity, select the Require a password option, and then enter a password.
Outlook Express asks you if you want to log on as the new user. If you answer yes, you will be
prompted for information about your Internet connection. If you answer no, the current user remains logged on.

boybrown 19:53 12 Jan 2004

Hi Halmer,

just a note of caution. if you are using the latest version of outlook express then make sure that instead of using the 'switch identity' option when moving between accounts that you hit the 'exit and logg off' button from the file menu as there is a small bug in Outlook that doesnt like switching between users. Sometimes what will happen is that the OE will close as if to switch and then not re-appear, you then are unable to open it from the icon until you re-boot. it's not a bog problem but something to remember

cheers

tom :-)

Halmer 20:30 12 Jan 2004

having had a go.

But can I set up separate icons for all three of us or do we have to go in to File/Switch identity evry time one of us wants to log on?

stuc100 20:39 12 Jan 2004

There is no need to setup seperate identities if you don't mind any of the others seeing you e-mails. You can add more than one e-mail address to an identity. just go to tools, accounts, then add the accounts your wanting to access. Making sure you check these for new mail automatically.
You don't have to store the passwords but it will prompt you everytime you want to check any of the accounts if you don't.
I take it you wish to use outlook/express!!

TBH1 12:41 13 Jan 2004

you need separate ID's, as opposed to separate accounts, if you wish only to see your own emails. Password protect each ID, then when whoever needs their email, click on OE icon and it will present you with the list of ID's - - select the one you want, enter the password and away you go. The help file in OE is really very good - -just get your head around difference between accounts and ID's.

Halmer 18:24 13 Jan 2004

I'll give it a go when I get back in tonight.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?