How do I set BIOS password?

planty29 19:22 22 Dec 2003

Have a dual BIOS Gigabyte motherboard. Want to set BIOS password to foil potential thieves (GRRR!) However when I enter BIOS setup 'user password' is greyed out. Can only change 'supervisor password' - will this have same effect - i.e. ask 4 passwrd on boot, or will it cause me probs?
ta muchly

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 20:09 22 Dec 2003

Same sort of thing you can set it to ask for password at bootup or just when accessing the bios,the first can be a pain as it asks every time you start/restart,i turned mine off lol.

Regards.

AubreyS 20:12 22 Dec 2003

And if you forget it, you could have a major problem on your hands.

they i believe could clear the BIOS by the jumpers to clear the CMOS chip

VoG II 21:28 22 Dec 2003

Erm...

Am I being totally thick but doesn't setting a BIOS password simply require a password to be entered before you change settings in the BIOS? How would this deter a thief?

If I'm totally wrong I'll get me coat!

Terry Brown 22:00 22 Dec 2003

Dependent on your bios /motherboard, you have 2 options.1..Open the machine . Find the Bios jumper.(look in manual for location). Set to clear. Wait for the specified time (usually a few minutes) and reset to normal. Restart machine.2 Assuming you have not already set a password. Open bios settings (Usually by pressing +holding DEL when the dos screen starts.Go through the bios to find Set defaults for BIOS. also set defaults for motherboard (if existing). This should allow you to set up a bios password . WORD OF WARNING. Ensure you earth yourself and / or buy an antistatic wriststrap before opening the machine.

Sheila-214876 12:07 23 Dec 2003

Am I, like VoG also "totally thick". Setting a password won't deter a thief. Any password on a computer can be overcome. I have a friend who has a secondhand shop. He is not allowed to resell computers with an O/S or data on it, unless the the hard disk has been re-formatted and they buy an O/S. It is my job to do the clearance work for him. It is simple to overcome any password on a computer. The only way to stop theft is to chain it down. If that is not an option get it insured and do regular backups, so that if it is stolen it can be replaced and your data re-installed.

planty29 12:53 23 Dec 2003

Thx 4 the help guys. I guess insurance & backups are my only hope. That & the large bear trap under the keyboard
merry Xmas to all!

planty29 17:59 22 Jan 2004

Can anyone recommend a good back-up package? I've looked at Norton Ghost '03 (am running 98SE), but the consumers on Amazon.co.uk gave it pretty sh*te reviews...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?