How do I see stuff on laptop that is on desktop?

Sussex Dodo 12:01 29 Apr 2010

I have a desktop pc running Windows XP Pro. I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7. I have set up a Netgear router for my broadband account which is running perfectly to both machines - Desktop via the ethernet cable and wi-fi to the lappy. However, I am stuck with getting the two computers to 'talk' to one another so I can simultaneously see everything that's on my desktop on my laptop - e-mails, documents, etc. I am the only user but being disabled, I have to switch from my desk to my sofa or bed with my laptop when I need to. Am I being totally dense and missing something really basic or is what I want not possible because of the two different operating systems? Any help and advice much appreciated.

onthelimit 14:16 29 Apr 2010

You need remote access. A free prog that I use to help my brother from a distance is Teamviewer which is a freebie. Should be able to achieve what you want. click here

Sussex Dodo 10:37 03 May 2010

Thanks for the advice and sorry it took me a while to get back. I'll try what you suggest. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017