How do I "Save" to DVD?

villageidiot 14:08 20 Mar 2007

To date I have never used a CD/DVD, other than CD ROM to install Windows and drivers.

I now have an "All singing-all dancing" DVD drive, plus a pack of DVD+RW disks.

How do I put them to any use? Where can I read about what they can be used for, and how to set things up?

I don't think I really have any use for reading or writing DVDs or writing to CDs, just mucking about in case a use becomes apparent.

I could perhaps do a backup of my data files, or perhaps my entire "C" drive. I downloaded XXClone but reading the help pages I am totally lost. e.g. from the first page of the introduction: -

"XXCLONE duplicates the Windows system volume and makes the target volume self-bootable."

Yeah, sure. Que? What is a volume; what is the "Windows system volume"; what is "the target volume", and what does "duplicates" mean? Couldn't I just do "Copy/Paste" to do that?

The Intro doesn't tell me whether XXClone will copy folders and files to DVDs, it just refers to "Volumes" and "Disks". In the XXClone window for doing things, only my "C" drive is listed, which seems to imply that XXClone doesn't see DVD drives.

Please can anyone point me towards a "Using DVD drives for beginners" article?

If not, I'll spend an hour or so trying Google, although I've tried that approach before, and got nowhere - most articles are too high-level for me.
(I need the type of article that explains which way up the disk goes into the drive, and defines the terminology in everyday language.)

dazwm 14:54 20 Mar 2007

This may help for starters click here

villageidiot 16:40 20 Mar 2007

Thank's dazwm. I've read that, wouldn't claim to have absorbed it all, but I've read it.

I'm vaguely aware of the DVD+/-R, DVD+/-RW, etc, but sat here with my box of DVD+RW disks and a DVD drive in my computer I don't know what to do next.

Windows Explorer/Right Click on CD Drive (D:), and click on Properties. According to this it's Type - CD Drive, File System - RAW, with 0 bytes Used Space, and 0 bytes Free Space. Why does it say that when the disk is 4.7GB Data?

Now I think I need a FAT32 or NTFS file system to copy folders and files from my C drive, so where do I go from here? There's no "Format" option under "Properties".

I need instructions along the lines of "Press switch on front of DVD Drive. This should open the tray. Place DVD on tray, with printed side up (Rash assumption on my part.) and push tray into drive. etc etc.

Can I record data and say music on the same disk? Does data use NTFS, and music RAW, or does music use MP3 (Or something like that, that I have vaguely heared mentioned.) How do I cut/paste photographs from my "C" drive onto the DVD?

I still need helllllllp.

MAJ 16:53 20 Mar 2007

Which software package came with your new DVD burner, villageidiot? Nero, for example and have you installed it yet?

Pamy 18:47 20 Mar 2007
  villageidiot 01:02 21 Mar 2007

MAJ - No software came with the DVD Drive. I bought it from Aria, and they don't supply any software, suggest any software, or warn that software will be needed. Seeing that all computers come with DVD Drives now, I assumed Windows XP would have the drivers, or perhaps that I would have to download them from NEC, the drive manufacturer. I've seen Nero mentioned, but never known what on earth it does.

Thanks for the "click here" Pamy. It looks as though for some reason Microsoft include the software in XP for Copy/Pasting onto CDs, but not onto DVDs. There's logic for you boyo.

Do I have to buy Nero, or are there free equivalents?

As I said, at this stage I only want to play with it. It's all so complex I am already losing interest.

The "click here" article was 50% beyond me - too much unexplained jargon, and masses of irrelevant padding to cloud the issue. However, from half way down Page 2, I think I need Veritas's "Record Now". Unfortunately the writer fails to tell us how to get it.

So I am still sat in front of my computer, disk in the DVD drive. Will I be wasting my time if I go looking in "Downloads" for some software?

beeuuem 02:13 21 Mar 2007
  villageidiot 00:18 22 Mar 2007

Thanks to everyone.

I have tried to read the references, and some of those listed on the PCAdviser downloads, but most of it is beyond me. I am still unclear about most of the terminology - burning, ripping, cloning, seen a reference to ISAs, or something like that, etc.

I have downloaded three programs, but can't get any of them to work properly. I get computer lock-ups and crashes. Got one to work, sort of, but now every time I start my computer, Windows tells me it has tried to cause a fault in the registry, so I keep sending the fault reports to Microsoft. The User Manuals don't explain the majority of what I need to know. (Steps in instructions obviously missed out, parts of screens not explained at all, etc)

Away for a few days now, so I'll close this down.

Your help is much appreciated.

MAJ 01:51 22 Mar 2007

The terminology can be a little daunting to start with, villageidiot, you know what techies are like, they love to use there own words and abbreviations. Let’s see if we can take some of the mystery out of it. You’ll see as you start to create your own disks just how easy it is.

Basically your new recorder will record to two basic types of disk:

1. CDs (Compact Disks)

2. DVDs (Digital Versatile Disks)

All disks are sometimes called by the group name of “Media” (you’ll see that from time to time)

The two groups of disk I mentioned above have some sub-divisions:

CDs can be split into three main types:

1. Ordinary CDs you buy from the shop with either music or programs on them, you stick them into your CD/DVD player and the music plays or the program starts to install. You can’t record over this type of CD.
2. CD-R, These CDs you can record to, but you can only record to them once (I’m ignoring multi-session for the moment, that can be explained later, if you wish). You can not delete stuff from this type of CD.
3. CDRW, This type of CD you can record to and wipe, many times, much like a video tape or an old cassette tape.

DVDs can also be split into the same camps:
Ordinary DVDs, DVDR and DVDRW. The DVDRs and DVDRWs can be further split into two groups DVD-R, DVD+R and DVD-RW and DVD+RW. Don’t worry about the differences in those just yet, just be aware that they exist. There’s also another type, DVD-RAM, but you’ll not really come across those usually.

You’ll see some terms used when referring to recording data to your CDs or DVDs, you’ve mentioned a few above:

Burning: That’s just what they call, recording stuff TO your CD or DVD.

Ripping: That’s recording stuff FROM your CD or DVD to your computer’s hard drive.

Cloning: is usually used in connection to your computer’s hard drive, it’s the process of recording *exactly* all the data on your hard drive to (usually) another hard drive. The second hard drive becomes a ‘clone’ (an exact copy) of the first. Excellent for backing up your hard drive in case of a catastrophic crash were all your data would be lost. You can replace the data with the cloned drive.

On the Fly: is the term used for recording stuff from one CD/DVD to another, at the same time. You need two drives installed on your computer (one of which needs to be a recorder) to do that, one drive reads the data on the CD (that’s called the Source drive) while the other records (Burns) the data to another CD/DVD (called the Target drive).

That’s a very basic and incomplete description of some of the media and terms you’ll hear, so ask about anything else you don’t fully understand and someone will explain it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017