How do I retrieve emails from external hard drive?

RosieBeezie 15:21 25 Jun 2008

I had a major crash, but luckily had backed up everything to a Seagate external hard drive the day before. Can anyone tell me how I "drag and drop" the files from the external drive to the PC? When I click on a file and get the 'send to' option, it only seems to give 'My documents' as a possible destination. Surely this would not be correct for, say, emails? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Many thanks

wee eddie 17:51 25 Jun 2008

Send it to My Docs and then take it from there to it's final destination. I'm assuming you're talking about a .pst file or OE's equivalent.

grey george 21:36 25 Jun 2008

How did you do the back up. If it was a proper back up programme it should have a restore function. If not you will manualy have to move back all the files.

brundle 23:16 25 Jun 2008

Why using Send To? Cut/Copy and Paste is more flexible. A file manager makes life much simpler. click here

What email program, as above - Outlook or Outlook Express?

RosieBeezie 11:51 27 Jun 2008

Dear all, thank you for your replies. I can't use the 'Restore' function because I didn't make backup sets - didn't realise I needed to do that. However, everything IS backed up. Grey George, when you say move everything into 'my documents' and thence to final destination, what would the final destination be for all the emails, calendar, contacts etc in Outlook? Thanks for your patience. Rosie

wee eddie 12:45 27 Jun 2008

Outlook contents will normally be in the form of "Outlook.pst"

Move that to your 'My Docs' Folder then use Outlooks "Import" Function to install it into Outlook

scotty 13:34 27 Jun 2008

If you are using Outlook (as opposed to Outlook Express) you can use the Import feature. Goto File, Import and Export then select Import from another program or file. Select the .pst option and follow the on-screen dialogue.

RosieBeezie 18:08 27 Jun 2008

Thank you very much again. This sounds quite straightforward! Really appreciate all your help. Rosie

jimmer409® 19:47 27 Jun 2008

what do you mean about major crash, did your hard drive fail??, if so what program did you use to back-up to the ext. drive?? if the hard drive failed, remove, install a new one, restore from the ext. drive using a boot disc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?