How do I replace windowsXP with windows98?

Mezzo 22:05 11 Mar 2004

Need to do this on a laptop as its running very slow on xp.

have a windows98se disk and thats it. have tried a boot disk but to no avail 9i was probably doing it wrong).

any suggestions much appreciated.

LastChip 22:10 11 Mar 2004

Do you mean the boot disc would not work, or it worked, but you were not allowed to downgrade to '98?

woodchip 22:18 11 Mar 2004

You need to use FDISK to rewrite the Master boot record as Windows will not let you Win98 being an older Op[erating System. So it means FDISK to delete old partitions and then recreate a C: drive and format it. you can then load win98 as normall

billyliv 22:20 11 Mar 2004

Hi, If i am correct you need the XP disc to uninstal XP before you instal 98. cheers, Bill

billyliv 22:23 11 Mar 2004

Hi, thinking along the line that woodchip has gone, you should be able to go into disk management in XP and format the disc there. Provided you are the Administrator. Cheers, Bill

K.H 22:24 11 Mar 2004

click here

Regards

K.H

Mezzo 22:32 11 Mar 2004

The bootdisk does some stuff and the takes me to an msdos prompt a:\ . not sure what to do next though.

woodchip 22:32 11 Mar 2004

That's OK if it's a clean drive

LastChip 22:37 11 Mar 2004

You need to be careful of this, as some laptops, notably Compaq, store part of the BIOS data on the hard drive.

Did this machine come preloaded with XP? Because if it did, there's probably a reason it's running slow.

Be wary of doing anything until you know the implications.

Mezzo 22:42 11 Mar 2004

its a very old fosa laptop. i think thats why xp is so slow on it.

have got to the fdisk function now. bit baffling!

woodchip 22:43 11 Mar 2004

As LastChip say’s if the comp is still under warranty then you are doing the above at your own peril. It should work as I said but you may not be able to reload XP unless you have a full XP disc. The BIOS is contained on the CMOS chip

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?