How Do I replace Batteries in Logitech Mouse

prince midas 18:47 25 Jun 2009

My Logitech Mouse which uses 2 AA batteries are not charging and I assume after 4 years they need renewing.
My question is that the 2 batteries appear to be stuck together with a metal band and a separator made of plastic. Do I buy new batteries which are stuck together like this or can I just replace with 2 separate rechargeable batteries? It makes me think they are stuck together like this to make sure the are not connected by touching each other but I may be mistaken.

Curio 18:55 25 Jun 2009

The band and separator may well be freed from the batteries when removed from the mouse. Put in two new recharged batteries and refit the band and separator.

prince midas 19:08 25 Jun 2009

Thank you Curio.When I removed the old batteries they appeared to have stuck to the seperator probably by the heat they produce.I notice that the cover on the old batteries appear to have a coating on them like rubber which as got damaged and corroded. Do I have to buy logitech identical batteries such as these or can I just replace with normal rechargeble batteries AA which I use in my digital camera.Obviously I would have to replace the metal sleeve and the plastic separator.

mooly 19:16 25 Jun 2009

Is this "metal band" connecting the two end terminals of the batteries together ? and used in place of terminals in the mouse.

prince midas 19:49 25 Jun 2009

No it is juat about 1 inch deep and the width is from the far side left of the first battery to the far side right of the right battery.
It just secures the batteries together side by side but between the 2 batteries is a plastic seperator which I presume is to stop them touching each other. It seems a strange way of securing batteries from a big company like logitch.

wjrt 22:08 25 Jun 2009
  mooly 06:55 26 Jun 2009

I can't see any problems in just replacing the cells. Any you buy retail will be fully insulated.
Just be aware that both older Nicad and newer Nickel metal hydride types are on sale. Either will work but the NmH type is by far the best, having little or no memory effect. Buy a good make and compare capacities eg one at 1000 milliamp hours will only run the mouse approximately half the time a 2100 or 2.1amp cell will, but will take longer to charge.

BT 07:33 26 Jun 2009

If you do use normal retail rechargables you should be sure to use the correct type, either NiCad or NiMh as they have different charging characteristics, and the charger will probably not cope if you use the wrong type.

woodchip 19:12 26 Jun 2009

Just make sure that you get the battery's the right way round also check that the battery's are not connected in series to give longer life

woodchip 19:15 26 Jun 2009

That should have been in Parallel + to + with metal connectors and - to -

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?