HOW DO I REMOVE A TROJAN?

Sherwood 22:29 30 Dec 2005

My Tesco F-Secure anti-virus scanner has found the following trojans:
[email protected]
JS/SillyDownloader.K
in my temporary internet files.

I have deleted all my temporary internet files, but it is still finding these 2 trojans and it does not disinfect them.

How do I remove or deal with these trojans?

Help!

VoG II 22:38 30 Dec 2005

Try CleanUp! click here to empty temporary files.

Kev.Ifty 22:47 30 Dec 2005

Try a good free Anti-Virus

AVG click here

rdave13 01:45 31 Dec 2005

Google for Avast anyivirus; ms antispyware; spywareblaster;asquared(anti malware free edition);cw shredder:and adaware antispyware by lavasoft.

All free protection but don't run more than one antivirus program because they will clash.

Nellie2 02:09 31 Dec 2005

You need a product that specifically looks for Trojans. Trojan Hunter has a free trial that you can download click here If that doesn't get it then you may need to get some help to root out the trojan manually.

palinka 14:44 31 Dec 2005

Anti-viruses are what they say: "against viruses", so don't necessarily deal with trojans, tho they may find them.
Download and install all that Rdave13 recommended (but of course not 2 antiviruses at same time, and you already have Tesco's). Update them - if offered that option - and Run them. Nellie2's advice is correct - you probably need an "anti-trojan", so use her link too.

Bogbrain 14:58 31 Dec 2005

How the hell did you 'manage' to get a trojan anyway? Via email? If not, how then.............

Pineman100 15:26 31 Dec 2005

If you've still got the problem after following the advice above, have a look at click here This will tell you about sillydownloader and contains a link to the Microsoft Knowledgebase that tells you how to do a registry edit to get rid of it.
Don't edit your registry unless you know what you're doing!

Sherwood 21:11 31 Dec 2005

Thanks for all your help.
Thank you Nellie2. I have downloaded Trjan Hunter and run it. Curiously it did not find the trojans. However, It may be that they have been overwritten.

Sherwood 18:59 01 Jan 2006

Both trojans have now been removed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?