How do I remove Real Player?!?!?!?!?

plsndrs3 18:43 16 Nov 2003

Here is my posting, which I thought was resolved:

click here

But, just like that auntie who calls every Christmas and smells of sherry or wee, I just can't get this to go [sorry if I have described any Helproom Angels!!! - lol]

I have:

* deleted the program by add/remove in Control Panel

* deleted all references to realplayer in the registry

It comes back

* deleted via it's own remover

* deleted all references to realplayer in the registry

It comes back!

Then I had a [minor] brainwave & removed the restorepoint. Did both of the above> turned off the PC> set new restore point> turned on Restore System

It comes back

What on earth am I doing wrong here!!!!!!

Paul

wee eddie 18:55 16 Nov 2003

It will work out cheaper in the long run

jimv7 19:10 16 Nov 2003

Are you using aol, as real player is the default for aol.

plsndrs3 19:45 16 Nov 2003

wee eddie - I have & have just re-instelled windows & others [mostly thanks to help from here] & am still in the same boat

jimv7 - think you've hit the nail on the head! Yes, I am using AOL &, thinking on these lines, AOl asks me to re-install 'files needed to play this media' after I have deleted Real Player - even though I have not tried to play anything except on Winamp 3.0!! Just never saw the link before ;o))

Can this be amended - or am I doomed to have this defunct piece of software on my system?

Regards,

Paul

Djohn 19:55 16 Nov 2003

If you wish to use the AOL player for listening/viewing files then yes, you will need Realplayer as the AOL one is based on it.

Try from the AOL desktop, settings/prefrences/media player, and un-tick the 2 boxes for AOL player, then remove Realplayer, might work, but can't say for sure. j.

plsndrs3 19:03 17 Nov 2003

Good sound advice, as always! The darned thing seems to have gone.

You've kept me sane for a little while longer.

Many thanks for your help,

Paul

jimv7 19:13 17 Nov 2003

Remember that it will most likely return when aol does its uninvited and automatic download for updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?