How do I remove isass.exe when it affects safemode

MajorBflat 18:08 28 Jan 2008

When I try to start my Acer Aspire t180, after Windows XP starts loading, it flips back to the Acer screen and I get an error message 'isass.exe, Object name not found'.

Internet searches tell me isass.exe is a virus and I should run my anti-virus software in safe mode to remove it. (As an aside why didn't the av software pick it up in the first place?)

However, in safe mode I still get the same error message, so what can I do to by pass it, short of reformatting my drive?

recap 18:29 28 Jan 2008

click here and read the instructions.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:30 28 Jan 2008

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

birdface 18:32 28 Jan 2008

If you have spelt it right. click here

Ashrich 18:35 28 Jan 2008

Is this isass.exe or lsass.exe ( small i or small l ) as this will obviously make a difference , one being a virus that can disable firewalls and anti virus programs , the other being a Windows process .

click here and scroll down to the 12th post , as it had the same error message as yours , and this fixed it .

Ashley

mfletch 18:37 28 Jan 2008

There is Lsass.exe, which is a legitimate Windows file.. and Isass.exe.......which is not, in fact..it's added as a result of a trojan. [in lower case... lsass (good) vs. isass (bad)] The entry in Hijackthis should look like this...

O4 - HKLM..Run: [Services] Isass.exe

and can be "fixed" & after reboot a "search"..(Start->Search...etc) can be done...to locate Isass.exe (Not Lsass)...& if found..delete

mfletch 18:44 28 Jan 2008

May be a sasser worm,

Use SAS Superantispyware,

click here

MajorBflat 10:22 29 Jan 2008

Thanks to you all for such quick responses. It is 'isass' and not 'lsass' and some of the suggestions won't work as start up never gets far enough toload or run any scanning software (unless there's a way round that).

Fruit Bat and Ashrich's answers look interesting -I'll be away for a few days but will investigate further on my return and let you know what happens.

MajorBflat 19:33 24 Feb 2008

Thanks again to you all for your help. I'm sorry it's taken me so long to report back. Your advice helped me understand what I was doing but I couldn't get an XP Media Center cd (not that I trusted anyway!) to do a repair and Acer's recovery software only provides for a 'clean' install. So I bit the bullet and risked £10 on 'Data Genius' with which I was able to recover my data before doing a clean install using the Acer onboard 'disc to disc' recovery process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017