How Do I Removal All Data Stored On My Hard-drives

Big L 266 13:37 05 Jan 2009

Hello.

I'm expecting my new computer on Thursday from PC World. They're currently transferring my cd collection and some pictures from my external hard-drive totalling some 170Gb. Once my new computer is up and running,I'd like to know how to remove all the data stored on my hard-drives from my old computer before I give it to my friend.

How do I do it please as I don't wish to leave any traces of 'me' on either my C or D (back-up) drives after four years. Is it a simple process?

Thank you very much for your kind help.

canarieslover 13:52 05 Jan 2009

You can use software like File Shredder.click here
Then clean up cookies, history etc with CCleaner click here. Uninstall all programs so that your registration doesn't go with the machine. This will still leave your OS registration on there. Or you could just reformat the drive and give your friend the disks to re-install.

Big L 266 14:03 05 Jan 2009

Hello Canarieslover.

I've just realised I posed the wrong question. I should have written "How do I remove the entire current software and operating systems going back four years without leaving any residual traces of my activities behind on either of the two hard-drives please?"

Sorry. My fault.I'd simply like to give it to my friend with two blank hard-drives.

Thank you for your kind help.

johndrew 14:16 05 Jan 2009

You have a choice, either one of these click here - my preference would be Active Killdisk - which will remove all traces of all data from any HDD on which it is used, or go to the HDD manufactures site and download the HDD testing software. One of the tests will write 0&1 (zeros and ones) to every sector overwriting whatever was there.

pcmags 14:20 05 Jan 2009

KillDisk would remove everything & i mean everything!
And it's free @ click here
But beware using it!!

Pamy 15:36 05 Jan 2009
  Big L 266 08:29 06 Jan 2009

Hello.Thank you very much for all your help. I think KillDisc is the order of the day. Once I know my new computer is up and running,I'll then delete both my hard-drives and give it to my friend.

I am very much obliged to you for your kind help and thank you all again.

keef66 13:01 06 Jan 2009

last person I know used killdisk wasn't then able to reinstall an OS at all. Ended up having to replace the HDD

[email protected] 13:11 06 Jan 2009

Just format the drives. That will leave them blank. There's no need for any fancy software to do the job unless you fear that people, that way inclined, will try and recover deleted material! (which isn't something that will happen by accident)

To format a drive, boot from your Windows XP CD and go to the recovery console. In there type 'format C:'. That will wipe your C: drive. Then do the same again for any other drives e.g. 'format D:'.

If you're not sure how to boot from your XP CD or any other of the stages I've said then say so and I'll give more thorough instructions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?